2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Huge Smoke when I Kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 AM
besserspat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Smoke when I Kickdown

Ok , my Ram 5.2 168 000miles, does not burn oil, doesnt smoke normally, and runs pretty strong.

But lately, (here its getting cold these days), when I floor it (you know the big kickdown it makes at around 40 mph), I looked in my mirrors and POW a huge smoke screen (blueish smoke), Damn!

but it NEVER smoke under any other conditions, even "spirited" acceleration, Just big kickdowns.

my thoughts:

bad plenum gasket that suck the oiland burns it when the engine rev really high?

Bad PCV that sucks oilinto the intake?

I have a bad tendency to "lightly overfill " my truck with oil .2 or .3 quart over the line on the dipstick?

Engine just being worn out and thats life !

Please if you guys have any thoughts?

thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: Huge Smoke when I Kickdown

bad plenum gasket that suck the oiland burns it when the engine rev really high?
Could be. See how much oil is pooling inthe bottom. It might kind of settle there and then go down the holes when you hit WOT and move all that air.

Bad PCV that sucks oilinto the intake?
Not likely. No reason the PCV should get enough oil to make any visible smoke. And if it was flowing that freely, you should have lean codes.

I have a bad tendency to "lightly overfill " my truck with oil .2 or .3 quart over the line on the dipstick?
A full quart over wouldn'tmake a difference on an American SB V8. Significantly overfull would cause the crank to aerate the oil before it was actually climbing the cylinder walls. You'd see this in oil pressure readings.

Engine just being worn out and thats life!
Most likely. Worn rings and valve guides/seals are a givenat such mileage. So long as oil consumption is < 2 qts. between oil changes, I would just live with it.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
dr_destructo

My wifes Durango with the 5.2 had the same symptoms. It was the plenum gasket. It would pull enough oil in the intake and it would sit there until there was enough flow from WOT pull it the rest of the way through and out the exhaust. It wouldnt do it all the time, but maybe once a week. It was also using @ 2 quarts between oil changes. No leakes or smoke normally until there was enough throttle to suck it through. Pretty cheap fix. My buddy did it on the side for $85 icluding parts.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy way to possibly check if its the plenum gasket is to look through the throttle body, when is the last time you have changed your PCV... its only 4 bucks and takes about 1 minute to replace. i cant see it being overfilled oil. Goodluck

Quick Reply: Huge Smoke when I Kickdown