2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slack in the steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:04 AM
youthguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slack in the steering

I have a 4x4 ram and the bar that runs across the front end shows to have some slack in it. I figure this is what is giving me the slack in my steering. I havea Chilton's manual but it does not show this bar for me to find out what is called. What is it and is it a dealer only item? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Slack in the steering

are you talking about the bar that goes from spindle to spindle ? or the bar that goes from the axle to the frame on an angle? (being a 4X4 your trac bar could be ..and most probablly worn aswell,, may want to check that as well.. if you do a search of "track bar" youll find laods of info)

if its the bar that goes from spindle to spindle.. its known as the tie rod.. (or atleast what i call it) and the tie rod ends are normally the peices that get worn..

also check your drag link aswell.. (the bar coming from your pitman arm to your tie rod) theres links or "tie rod ends" on these aswell that can get worn and cause sloppy steering.... this bar goes from the steering box/gear to the tie rod.. it should be able to flop "up and down " but not "lef to right, in the direction it actually travels"

these parts.. tie rod ends,, can be found at almost ALL auto parts stores...

replacing them .. i like to use my ball joint press, air hammer/pickle fork sets to pop them free.. then i antiseize before i reinstall the new ones.

Quick Reply: Slack in the steering