2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

YAY!!! CRAZY MIXED UP ELECTRICALS!!! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAY!!! CRAZY MIXED UP ELECTRICALS!!! any ideas?

so my truck's barely able to start in the mornings these days if i even let it sit for a day. drove it saturday night and it had a hard time kicking over this morning. there is a drain in the electricals somewhere.

anybody know of any common ones? i've removed all my aux lights that i've put in and all the wiring but that hasn't seemed to do the trick. i'm going to disconnect my audio today and see if that will help. i do have a blown passenger door speaker, but from what i know about speakers that really shouldn't be causeing the issue.

my ideas are down to the alternator going out, or just not charging enough, or one of KC lights that i have on there is shorting out somewhere (they are going to be removed today) but i've checked all the wiring and i haven't found a spot for it to short yet. i'll be checking the fuses too today.

if anyone has any ideas, please reply. i need all the help i can get. i don't want to get stuck in the middle of no where.

thankyou.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie
Default RE: YAY!!! CRAZY MIXED UP ELECTRICALS!!! any ideas?

There is a way to use a multi meter and check for continuity and pull fuses 1 at a time untill you find the circuit that is giving you trouble. I just can't remember how it is done.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally speaking, it's like a computer. When something goes wrong, you have to think back to what you've done lately or since the problem started. That having been said, it's not likely to be something that has been installed and working correctly so you may want to spare yourself some work if some of these lights and music boxes have been ok for a long time.
One thing I would start with though is the battery connections regardless of how new or old. Remove, wire brush, clean and oil ALL connections to the battery AND starter... Underscore REMOVE and clean. Then retighten all. Have the battery tested for load. Alternator too for its output. Also, check all door and interior lighting and underhood lights. Check brake light switch too; it may be hanging up.
That's all I've got so far.
WC

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
tazme695

You need to check for a Key Off Drain you can do this with a test ligh or a dvm ! dissconnect the NEG battry terminal and connect the one end of tl to the neg battery terminal and the other end to the cable! make shure key is off and doors are shut! unplug hood light test light should be dim (pcm draw normal) if it is bright start at power dist box under hood and pull one fuse at a time till light goes out or dims! the correct way to do this is with a DVM and do an amp draw test but its to much to type the instructions!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tazme695is right but use a multi meter not a test light, a test light is not accurate enough as it may only be milliamps were talking about. pull one fuse at a time until you see the amp draw go down i think it should be around 400 mili amps bit don't quote me on that numberit ll say in the marry Christmas service manual once you know what circuit is causing the amp drop look and see what runs off that circuit disconect one thing at a time on that circuit until you find the short, chasing shorts can take a lot of patients

one other thing to try, i had a short on my truck too it took me about a month to find but it was something in the seat belts, there is a plug under the drivers seat unplug it and see if your amp drat goes down if that's where the prob id let me know, you cant leave it unplugged as you seat belts wont come out but ll tell you how to fix it

Quick Reply: YAY!!! CRAZY MIXED UP ELECTRICALS!!! any ideas?