2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R/T Cast Iron Heads??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/T Cast Iron Heads??

ORIGINAL: Bouncer88

ORIGINAL: 98Woo2500

Are the heads ported and polished?
Yes.
not the regular eddies. the krc ones on sale are though. If you check out RM Indys site he has head flow compairisons on there, and the stage 3p/p'd + 3 angle eddies + gasket match,flow an aproximate 317/254 cfms. So your looking at better than LE3 LS1 (Lloyd Eliot stage 3) territory there which are 310/220. Talk about flow!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
not the regular eddies. the krc ones on sale are though. If you check out RM Indys site he has head flow compairisons on there, and the stage 3p/p'd + 3 angle eddies + gasket match,flow an aproximate 317/254 cfms. So your looking at better than LE3 LS1 (Lloyd Eliot stage 3) territory there which are 310/220. Talk about flow!
The 317cfm he quotes is alternative bench style #'s... the 292cfm intake he quotes for a Hughes benchis amuch more accurate comparison number. I'm also very surprised he quotes 255cfm exhaust, since the stock #'s are 179 - they must have really hogged the hell out of that head for the blower, because my N/A-configured heads were more in the 210cfm exhaustrange.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
The 317cfm he quotes is alternative bench style #'s... the 292cfm intake he quotes for a Hughes benchis amuch more accurate comparison number. I'm also very surprised he quotes 255cfm exhaust, since the stock #'s are 179 - they must have really hogged the hell out of that head for the blower, because my N/A-configured heads were more in the 210cfm exhaustrange.
That is true, but in the scheme of things, there is no true standard of benches. All benches test diffrently.I believe he was just stating that the persentage increase from out of box to worked on his bench was X% and did the math for the other benches.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Midnight95
Rookie

thanks for the info- still shopping of course.... does anyone have any good recom. on sites or online stores to shop at other than the summit and jegs?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Midnight95

thanks for the info- still shopping of course.... does anyone have any good recom. on sites or online stores to shop at other than the summit and jegs?
krc and hughes performance are the 2 big ones for rams.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many opinions on Magnum cylinder heads
but the Edelbrock Aluminum Magnums are getting good reviews
by guys who really know their stuff.

The question seems to be
after paying for porting
should you save up more money
and pay for thermal coatings inside the intake port
and over the combustion chamber ?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: HankL

The question seems to be
after paying for porting
surprisingly enough, I havent heard of thermal coating before. I looked up some quick articles on it, and it sounds very benificial. I couldnt locate any place that actually did it, or prices. Do you have any leads on that?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
bryan00rt

I found both heads are very simular in port volumesbut the R/T heads make a little more power out of the box and decided on the 2.02 R/T heads. Mainly for street performance because the steel holds in alittle heat which promotes more efficiant combustion and power. Not trying to defame the Edelbrock heads because they are both almost identical so both can and will do a good job for what we are doing. I just did my own research and settled on my own reasoning. The big push is on the weight savings of aluminum and that's an importantfactorif your in a3200 lb car looking to save all the weight you can for a class but in a 5000 lb truck, let's be real, your better off going for the all out raw HP gains because 40lbs isn't going to matter. Just leave the spare and jack at home or take off the tailgate and your lighter.
Porting is a huge consideration and there are some professional businesses out there getting lots of power out of these types of heads. I was lucky and gotseveral tips from people already in the know about one of these places and am very happy with the finished C&C porting and dyno results. Then again, Therea couple placestaking your loot to the bank and leaving you with a hack job. Rather than get into flames and wars over this and that, just shop around and check with people first. Coatings are not a big necessity for the street your money is better directed to make more power somewhere else like nitrous kit or other stuff.

ORIGINAL: HankL

The question seems to be
after paying for porting

Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: bryan00rt

I found both heads are very simular in port volumesbut the R/T heads make a little more power out of the box and decided on the 2.02 R/T heads. Mainly for street performance because the steel holds in alittle heat which promotes more efficiant combustion and power. Not trying to defame the Edelbrock heads because they are both almost identical so both can and will do a good job for what we are doing. I just did my own research and settled on my own reasoning. The big push is on the weight savings of aluminum and that's an importantfactorif your in a3200 lb car looking to save all the weight you can for a class but in a 5000 lb truck, let's be real, your better off going for the all out raw HP gains because 40lbs isn't going to matter. Just leave the spare and jack at home or take off the tailgate and your lighter.

loosing 25% of your weight on a 3200 lb car is just as important as loosing 25% of your weight on a 5000 lb truck. No matter what, weight is important.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Midnight95
Rookie

i agree with both about wieght....... its all depends on personal preference... i think im going to go with the R/T just for the fact that if by any chance i was to overheat and they warped the slightest bit i get them shaved to componsate. If the alluminum wapred it would probably crack alot quicker. If i wanted to to go hard core race truck i would DEF go with edelbrock, plus i could do a lil more specifics in valves and retainers to my likings. Thanks for the info though! its easier seeing other peoples thoughts to help make a decision... as they say..... "2 heads are better than 1" - well in this case many lol

Quick Reply: R/T Cast Iron Heads??