2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mpg drop (repeat i know mines diff.. i think)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpg drop (repeat i know mines diff.. i think)

So i dont keep an actual like log of how many mpg im actually getting, because im afraid to fill my truck $$$$. Ive owned the truck for over 6 months and the computers been keeping and average of 10.6-11 depending how i drive. As of this week its been dropping .1 per day. im down to 9.7 mpg. My driving hasnt changed, if anything im driving slower because its getting cold rainy and snowy here. The only thing that has changed in the last month has been A) my spark plugs **replaced with factory champion truck plugs gapped correctly** and B) ive been using my remote start on a regular basis.... correct me if im wrong but the mpg average only counts when the truck is actually moving? or is it just running time in general? Any idea what could be causing the drop?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Default RE: mpg drop (repeat i know mines diff.. i think)

I think the computer actually computes your mpg every 20s and then adds it to a rolling average. So if you don't move any wher but, you use gas you will be getting 0 mpg which will slowly bring the average down.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Mine actually calculates much quicker than 20s. If I reset the mileage calc. and drive for a few miles then come to a stop at a stop light the avg mpg drops very quickly, much quicker than what it would were it to calculate every 20s. Anyway, point to my story, it does use the 0 mpg you are getting when stopped to calculate your average. So your average mpg. dropping by ~.1 per day would make sense since you are using the remote start. It will hit a point where it remains steady instead of consistently dropping.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Winter gas mix will decrease milage but .5 MPG or so. I think it is pretty much in all northern pumps by now.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

Winter gas mix will decrease milage but .5 MPG or so. I think it is pretty much in all northern pumps by now.
yeah, thats actually very true......I see that year after year with my car and truck, I live in New York and I had been getting 28 mpg with my eclipse, and since last week its been at 26.....same with the truck, I loose about 2 miles to the gallon, don't think anything of it, everybody up here I know that clocks it says the same thing, it levels out again in the spring

Quick Reply: mpg drop (repeat i know mines diff.. i think)