2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plenum

Okay, I've been reading about this death flash business, and unfortunately my truck has it. I wondered why it didn't have much ***** at low rpm's. The mid and high range powerare fine though. So anyway, I think I will wait and dig into the plenum once I move back to TN next summer (so my more-mechanically-inclined brother can help). My plan is to go in with the aluminum plenum plate kit and replace it, then get the hypertech programmer to take care of the pcm. My question is, since the pinging was the reason for this flash, and the plenum seems to be the reason for the pinging, when I replace the plenum plate and re-program the pcm, will I have the pinging again, or will it go away?

Any help appreciated...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Default RE: Plenum

I know it's an old topic, but nobody???

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you fix the plenum, the pinging will go away. its caused by the lean condition and the associated higher piston temps.

if you already have pinging with stock pcm, don't do the hypertech now as the pinging would only get worse.

you can likely reduce pinging by using higher octane gas. look for the highest you can find 92-93 and if that help, then try reducing to 89. other POSSIBLE reductions in pinging are cooler plugs (3923) and/or 180 t-stat, but neither of those helped mine, while the gas change did.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I don't have any pinging now, since I have the death flash... The reason I ask is that I figure doing the hypertech without fixing the plenum will result in pinging, right? But doing the hypertech to fix the death flash after fixing the plenum should not result in any pinging. Is that right on?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure doing the hypertech without fixing the plenum will result in pinging, right?
...right... but you might be able to run 93 octane to overcome the ping. i was.

But doing the hypertech to fix the death flash after fixing the plenum should not result in any pinging. Is that right on? ...right... properly running engine will not ping. i have not had any pinging for a year,

with one little exception. i had just a tad of ping last weekend with a full load of wood, going uphill, in overdrive, rpm's down, regular gas. i turned OD off to allow engine rpm to come up to around 2000 where it needed to be and pinging stopped.

Quick Reply: Plenum