2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
bheadman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end problems

The other day I got bogged down in some sand and after i put it in four wheel drive it makes a grinding noise like doesnt want to lock in. After a second its fine. Now it get a noise like my tire is out of balance and a rattle. What could this be? U joint or bearing? I want to know a little bit before i take it in so i can save some money any info will help.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
zique
Captain
Default RE: Front end problems

If you feel it shaking when your driving, I'd say possibly a ball joint, but check things first. Put the tire in question up in the air and check it for play side to side and front to back. Look at the u-joints too and see if the caps are still intact and if there is play in the shafts.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
bheadman
Default RE: Front end problems

Would play in the tire cause the grinding when i shift into 4x4? my driveshafts are fine no play at all. Nothing is loose as far as u joint and sway bar. And when i hit a bump it can cause then noise to stop or come back again. I had this problem before but it was in the rear and gave me a vibration through my gas pedal. I found that was due to a striped out lug which has yet to be fixed but the noise from the rear has gone away. I just think something has been knocked loose on the trails and needs to be tighted up. But dodge peoples input allway helps.

Quick Reply: Front end problems