2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric "supercharger"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007 | 04:22 PM
ryans590
|
Record Breaker
Default electric "supercharger"

ok i was board so i clicked one of the adds at the top of the page...it lead me here http://www.electricchargers.com/now i gotta ask is that a joke...would it actually work? I've never looked into them so i was curious

Old 12-08-2007 | 04:24 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Default RE: electric "supercharger"

like zomgz i get 0.5LBS of boost..
lol

Old 12-08-2007 | 04:44 PM
mikerados21
Veteran

ORIGINAL: XXL 1500

like zomgz i get 0.5LBS of boost..
lol
lol.... maybe on a 4 cyclinder but def. not on our trucks. its not worth it... trust me ive tried it.

Old 12-08-2007 | 05:20 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Lemme go dig up the write up I found on that thing...

Basically, it doesn't work at all. The Cfm that they claim it "blows" is actually less than what the engine takes in Naturally. It doesn't work for 8 cylinder's, or 6's, or even most 4's. Getting a bolt on mod like an intake can make more power than that thing.

Lemme go find that thing....

Here's one explanation:
http://60degreev6.com/Articles/Misc/Myths/elec_SC.jpg

Also...

Taken from www.60degreev6.com
There are several different versions of this myth floating around. While its not good on the charging system, and it won't produce any boost, these electric turbos can give you a small increase in power for a short period of time. Its proven on a dyno and at the track. So yes its a myth still because i still see it claimed to boost the motor, but its not a complete lie as there is a couple hp to be had. Obviously the size of the motor will matter as it would with selecting a REAL super or turbo charger.
Basically, it works, but it doesn't at the same time. It works if it's at max output, but it be at max output all the time. Also the eBay ones have plastic fans inside them. Just think about what would happen if that fan were to break (happens all th time). Gets stuck in the intake manifold or pieces get into the combustion chamber. That means it's gonna be a bad day to be an engine.Also when it's shut off, it's in the path of flowing air through the intake, which will strangle your engine and not give it the air it needs to breathe properly.
I wouldn't get one. Ever. But it's your choice.

Old 12-08-2007 | 05:45 PM
ryans590
|
Record Breaker

lol wasent planning on getting one...dident think they worked from the begining (or everyone would have one alredy lol) just couries...and bord lol

Old 12-08-2007 | 06:33 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

there is actually a company working to build electric turbochargers that have nearly the output of traditional turbochargers. i have a feeling it's still a few years out before anyone sees them, and even then i'm betting the cost will outweigh the benefits, especially since traditional turbochargers work off of almost free energy in the first place (exhaust)

Old 12-08-2007 | 06:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

My friend installed one on his jetta. He clames it is better. Who knows! I say for a v8 to get more power from one you would need a HD leaf blower. Im sure someone has tried it too. LOL

Old 12-08-2007 | 06:56 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

There was a write up awhile back that someone posted from another forum. COMPLETE JUNK! The guy worked out a deal with the company to let him "test" it on his mid 90's cavalier. He got it, had to fab all this crap up with crazy glue and when he hooked it up he said it felt like a hair dryer. Think about it. It most likely restricts the engine more than anything, at most making .5-1 psi. POS!

Old 12-08-2007 | 07:55 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Electric superchargers are such a joke...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...ad23ca9564.htm

check that out...a leafblower adding 10hp lol.

An electric turbocharger wouldnt be a turbocharger....it would be an electric "supercharger"

lol @ supercharger.

Old 12-08-2007 | 08:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

LOL,
I'm gonna route my A/C ventoutputs to the TBand shoot NOS into the return line in the cab.

Then I'll have an electric supercharger, cold air intake, and a nitrous system at the same time. Maybe I'll be able to take out 20dodgeneon00's drag van.

Quick Reply: electric "supercharger"