2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM
mopar crazy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering noise

So here it is Dec in WI and its freakin cold. Ive recently been hearign this noise from the front end of the truck when the wheels are turned at full lock and the truck is moving. maybe its the same noise that SilverRam 01 is noticing in his post but thought I'd make one for myself incase its different.

I looked at everythign underneath and it all looks good. I am thinking either power steering pump or the steering gear box. Power steering fluid is full but I have had a leak for over a year ( drips ) from where the pitman arm connects to the steering box.

Any ideas as to make exactly it is? Hopefully it will last until spring when the weather warms and I can fix this issue.

Heres a video I made today from inside the truck, just turn the volume up high.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eringnoise.flv

Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Default RE: steering noise

4x2 or 4x4?
if 4x4 - probably front axle u-joints or hubs/wheel bearings
4x2 - wheel bearings

Old 12-08-2007, 05:55 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id agree u-joints...but are you in 4wd if so thats the cause right there...cant turn nearley as sharp in 4wd

lift up thw front end, 1 wheel at a time
grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle side to side, if there is play you have a bad tye rod end(s)
grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle top to bottem if there is play you have a bad ball joint or wheel barring
grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and pull straight out than push in, if there is play there you have a bad wheel barring

to check your u-joints, spin the wheel while back and forthits still off theground,look and see if thereis any play in the u-joints

if your boots are cracked you can get water/dirt/mud in there and they will ware out alot faster, if you give them a shot of greese every week or2 it will hely keep them cleen inside (push the crap out) and whey will last longer

Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 AM
mopar crazy
Professional

I had the truck in 4x2 mode so turning excessively ( full lock ) in 4x4 mode wasnt the case. Bad front u-joints would have made a sound only while driving forward because once the wheel is turned the pressure is taken off the front u-joints releaving the sound. Least thats what Im told and have experienced with the last 2 outer u-joints that I replaced.

Normal turning is fine, its just when the linkage has reached its max. Think maybe its the tie rods ends? I didnt think about the wheel bearings being bad, wouldnt those make soem sort of sound while driving forward and not just while having the wheels turned at max length?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

Look at your control armor, and stearing calom joints. The joins that are inclosed in the dome like rober thing. Some times they go back. Put ur hand on hte bar and see if it turns up and done if it does then thats not good.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

well when my wheel barrings were going out, they only mad noise at low speeds going around a corner...id check it all out, its good to know where your front end stands if nothing else

Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
mopar crazy
Professional

Would I be safe to assume that replacing the front wheel bearings on my 4x4 would be the same procedure as a 4x2? My Haynes manual only has info on changing those on a 4x2.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

DIY on changing your wheel barrings on a 4x4, https://dodgeforum.com/m_899058/tm.htmitll be diffrent than your 4x4

Quick Reply: steering noise