2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
blazen40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing help

Hi,
Need a little advice. I need a new wheel bearing on my front drivers side. What is the my best choice for a bearing. Timken hub assembly runs about 250. Trex auto parts has a trex hub bearing assembly for 111. Is there a difference here??? I need a little guidance. Seems like quite a price difference.
Blazen

Old 12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wheel bearing help

diffrence is quality, usally the more $ the better it is...(but not amways) mine were about $160 (cdn) ea when i did them
here is a DIY on the prosess as well https://dodgeforum.com/m_899058/tm.htm

Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Bavarskas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wheel bearing help

blazen40,

I recently put front bearing packs on my 1996 1500 and I went with Timken. In the Portland Oregon area the Timken's were more than double the $$as well.

These aremy reasons:
1) The company that I work for is both a customer and supplier to Timken. They have some of the highest quality standards in the auto industry. In a lot of cases the make their own steel and it is of the highest quality. Even the grain structure is checked. Timken continually works (in teams) improve their quality. They are relentless.
2) Our company also receives machined components from foreign countries.Usually their quality is good, but sometimes it is questionable (i.e.: poor surface finish, holes out of position, rusty parts). We have found that you can get a very high quality product from a foreign supplier but it costs about the same as a domestic made part.

Please take the above as my opinion only. These comments are what I have seen from my knot hole.

The decision is yours. I have heard of other Ram owners who have run foreign bearing packs with no issues at all.

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: wheel bearing help