2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

motor just turnover but won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
havoline42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor just turnover but won't start?

drove my truck yesterday parked it with no problem, got in it today and nothing just spin over and over,
the feul pump is coming on when i turn key on, i have checked the bleed off on the fuel rail, but the only question i have about that is when it bleeds off the fuel should it build back up and bleed off again or not?
so i checked number 1 and #3 cylinders and both of them were firing. i took off air cleaner and poured gas directly in intake and still didn't start, so what do you all think is the problem?
it is 2001 ram 1500 magnum 4x4 x-cab 4wd 5.9 maybe

Old 12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: motor just turnover but won't start?

Every time you turn the key the fuel pump will push fuel into the rail if the pressure drops below operating pressure. Around 48psi I believe. Sounds like you're getting fuel. if you bleed off all the pressure and then turn the key on (full forward) but don't crank the engine, you should hear a soft whirrrrr, that's the fuel pump pressurizing the rail.

Are you getting any codes? you can turn the key on, off, on, off, on (but don't turn engine over) quickly if you have a digital odometer and any codes in the system will show on the odometer. If you get one, search for the codes here and it may help.

How exactly did you say you checked for spark?Double check your coil, distributor and plug connections, and also pull the distributor cap and check the rotor to see if it was installed incorrectly and finally worked it's way offit's post

A faulty Crank Position Sensor will kill the engine like what you are describing, but the two most common reasons are no fuel or no spark.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
havoline42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: motor just turnover but won't start?

i took the spark plug out
put in back in wire and put in on manifold and turned motor over and it was sparking

also guy told me it sounded like broke timing chain?
would it still fire if the timing chain was broke?
i mean crank connected to cam by chain, cam turns distributer , i am just searching i don't know whats wrong with it.

Quick Reply: motor just turnover but won't start?