2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very lost with finding out whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
jonny 5ive
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very lost with finding out whats wrong?

Last month I had an issue with my 1998 V6 Dodge Ram not cranking over. Immediately I changed the spark plugs and the truck drove fine for like 3 days afterwards. The 4th Day it wouldn't crank over again, so I re-checked the sparkplug wiring to make sure nothing came loose and still no start. I began to think that maybe it was a fuel pump problem, so I dropped the tank and replaced my fuel pump today, but it still doesn't start.When putting fuel directly inside the TB, it will crank over for a min then die. It seems as if it's not getting fuel from the tank at all? Any help towards this would be greatly appreciated, because I'm lost as lost can be right now.

Thanks
j5

Old 12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Very lost with finding out whats wrong?

clogged fuel filter?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

filter is part of the pump, if he shaged the pump he changed the filter
did u check the relay, check your fuel pressure too, how cold is it there?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
jonny 5ive

Well, I'm located in Dallas, TX and the weather has fluctuated a lot since this started. Right now it's 47 degrees outside, but Saturday it was 81 degrees. The weather has been like this for awhile now down here, so I'm pretty sure while my truck has been sitting outside waiting to be fixed these extreme weather changes hasn't helped a bit. I honestly don't now how to check fuel pressure, and when I pulled the relay and swapped it out with a known working relay, no change in starting. I had my dad help me out and he said it could be something possibly with a distributor capacitor? LIke it could possibly be burnt out or something? He wasn't sure but was just guessing.

Again, thank you all very much!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
sawtooth
Rookie

Ignition or fuel related?
The engine cranks over but does not start?
My '94 GJC 5.2 L had a similar problem. Bad coil.
Neighbor's '98 1500, 5.9L had a similar problem. It was the crankshaft position sensor located in the distributor.
If possible, obtain a computer code checker. Some auto parts stores will, with a deposit, let you borrow theirs.

Quick Reply: Very lost with finding out whats wrong?