2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen ram leaning/sagging

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
grumpyoldman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen ram leaning/sagging

My '01 1/2 ton is sagging down approx 1" on the driver's side rear. May sound stupid, but I just noticed this the other day.

Measured all around the truck and it seems to start sagging/leaning at the door handles by 1/2". (Where the gas tank starts.) All tires have the same pressure and even wear. Pavement is also level. My gas tank is half full. No rubber shims/bumpers look crushed. No aftermarket lift, just have the stock lift blocks in back. Everything looks fine under the truck, the body just leans.

From what I've read, this seems to be a common problem with 2nd gens, yet no one really has a fix. I'm really at a loss of what to do here. My local dealer wants nearly $90 just to look it over. Do you think this is just a worn out leaf spring on the drivers side?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Default RE: 2nd gen ram leaning/sagging

Yes it's probably the springs being worn out. You could put an aal in there

Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a question... if you had more time than money, could you swap the springs and put the weak one the passenger side and the stronger one on the drivers side (gas tank) ?

next question - what should it cost to take them to a spring shop and have them re-arched ? anybody ever done this ?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

prolly to be cheeper to put some SJ softrides in..

i noticed the same problem on my ram.. same side.. looked at the isolater pads between my leefs .. the week side seemed that they were either A:damn near gone (rotted..leaves for a really poor ride) B: so squished they arnt really even "there" talkin paper thin..

a year later the other side is lookin the same thing.. there is a TSB on the pads..i think..

Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
grumpyoldman

ORIGINAL: shott8283
i noticed the same problem on my ram.. same side.. looked at the isolater pads between my leefs .. the week side seemed that they were either A:damn near gone (rotted..leaves for a really poor ride) B: so squished they arnt really even "there" talkin paper thin..
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll have to look the isolators over again tomorrow. I did notice those rubber bushings on the leaf shackles where worn.