2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Castrol Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Castrol Synthetic?

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

A Fram oil filter is the worst thing you can do to an engine.
I personally don't care for Fram either, but that's just my preference. What is your basis for a statement like that other then just opinion?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fram filters have the highest rate of failure of any brand, their junk rubber diaphragm anti-drainback is highly prone to getting stuck open, so oil doesn't get filtered at all. there was a filter study done a while back comparing most of the major brands. napa gold, wix and purolator pure one filters were at the top of the quality scale with the best materials and amount of filter material inside, with others like the fram and pennzoil filters at the very bottom.

around here, wix filtersand purolator pure one filters are less than a dollar more expensive than fram, so that's what i buy.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Purolator myself.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM
ramit2001
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Castrol syn is all I have ever put in my truck. When I had the vavles off there was no sludge and the engine was nice and clean inside. I only run a full syn though. I have heard the same about fram filters that they are junk.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: OlsenG_360

fram filters have the highest rate of failure of any brand, their junk rubber diaphragm anti-drainback is highly prone to getting stuck open, so oil doesn't get filtered at all. there was a filter study done a while back comparing most of the major brands. napa gold, wix and purolator pure one filters were at the top of the quality scale with the best materials and amount of filter material inside, with others like the fram and pennzoil filters at the very bottom.

around here, wix filtersand purolator pure one filters are less than a dollar more expensive than fram, so that's what i buy.
Yep. Here's a website, where someone with a lot of knowledge cuts open most of the popular brands of filters and shows that with Fram you're paying good money for a piece of ****. Just because someone says their the best does not mean it is true. Wix and Perolator are top notch.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purolator is a good filter as hastings , castrol oil is a good oil along with mobile , amsoil .. just like others with fram they had there problems. bobistheoilguy is the website , but be warned alot of amsoil dealers are on that board..

Old 12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saved that oil filter article in my fav's. It's a long read if you're interested.
http://people.msoe.edu/%7Eyoderw/oil...y.html#acd-pf2

Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

bobistheoilguy is the website , but be warned alot of amsoil dealers are on that board..
Here ya go:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about k&n or bosch filters?

Quick Reply: Castrol Synthetic?