2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 06:40 PM
Shmo95
Default Differential

Ok im new to all the 4x4 stuff and i just had a question it might be dumb but oh well... Im lookin to buy diff lockers for my truck and was looking on some online stores and i was stumped on what diff is in my truck weather it would be a dana 44 or chrysler 9.25 it's a 95 1500 slt ext cab if anyone knows which one it would be it would be great help thanks

Old 12-18-2007 | 09:41 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Default RE: Differential

Your front axel is a Dana 44
Your rear axel is a Chrysler 9.25

Locking your rear axel is all good and fine
Locking your front axel is a poor idea. Since we have a CAD instead of lockout hubs it would cause your front driveshaft to rotate even when 4wd is not engaged. It would also interfere with steering. Also your Dana 44 is probably going to break if you lock it with tires any bigger than 33s.
If you're still interested in doing it run a search on "posi-lock". Or if you have alot of money check out airlockers. You can engage and disengage them at the flick of a switch, but they are pricey.

There aren't too many choices for the rear but the best isprobably the detroit. I'm looking at the Powertrax No-Slip myself simply for the easy install.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:18 PM
tothewall
Rookie

I posted this on my local Jeep board and got this response:

can i curse? what a fawking idiot. its one thing to not know what you are talking about, then shut up and learn. but to be giving out "tech", and its dead wrong, pisses me off.

if you have CAD, (disco axles for us Jeeperz, same thing) you can have the front spooled and still steer 8's at walmart all day long in 2wd. it will make your front driveshaft turn, big whoop. the front output of the t-case is in neutral. the CAD won't have the axles connected, so the front tires can do whatever they want.

and a d44 is plenty happy with 33's, but we all know that.

I thought your answer was hooey, but I just wanted to check to be sure.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:34 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tothewall

I posted this on my local Jeep board and got this response:

can i curse? what a fawking idiot. its one thing to not know what you are talking about, then shut up and learn. but to be giving out "tech", and its dead wrong, pisses me off.

if you have CAD, (disco axles for us Jeeperz, same thing) you can have the front spooled and still steer 8's at walmart all day long in 2wd. it will make your front driveshaft turn, big whoop. the front output of the t-case is in neutral. the CAD won't have the axles connected, so the front tires can do whatever they want.

and a d44 is plenty happy with 33's, but we all know that.

I thought your answer was hooey, but I just wanted to check to be sure.

WOW , just a tad harsh they are on that forum...[sm=boink3.gif]

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:50 PM
tothewall
Rookie

ROFL... Thats the best smiley ever. We have quite the tech section, its not Pirate 4x4, but they are fast to call BS when someone gives the poor advice, or just puts something out there that makes no sense at all.

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:55 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I may be wrong about the steering, but I've heard botharguments. Alsofrom everything I've read everyone who locks their dana 44 on aDODGE RAM breaks ****.

I know everyone who owns ajeep thinks dana 44s are bad *** cause jeepsweighs 2000 pounds. But ifyou read around is seems like nothing but problems when you start locking dana44s on our trucks.Just doesn't seem worth it to me unless it's a full time trail rig. and even the guys who have their fronts locked on their full time trail rigs say things break 10 times faster.

and if the driveshaft is spinning all the time **** is wearing out un-necissarily fast.

Not trying to spread bad information or anything,jesus christ...

I was consideringbuying a locker for my front axel, but everyone says its bad news if it's a daily driver. Maybe I should start getting information for my truck from jeep forums.

Old 12-21-2007 | 05:16 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Dana 44 on a Wrangler is a pretty serious upgrade concidering stock used to be a Dana 35 rear and a Puny Weak dana 30 front.

The newer Rubicon Wranglers can have Dana 44 front and rear with air lockers and 4:10s.
Pretty sweet for stock!

Quick Reply: Differential