2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Difference in front ends?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 AM
mjrpaine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in front ends?

Ok so I have a 97 1500 5.9l with the dana 44 front end and I am having some problems .... the dealership is saying atleast $1000 to fix it ... I really dont want to go thru that.

I am calling about a parts truck tomorrow .... it is a 95 2500. I am going to find out what engine (since it has a rebuilt tranny that I can use) and what front end it has .... I will call a dealer to find out by the vin.

My question is .... if it has a dana 60, what is the difference between the two and will it go into my truck? what complications could arise? will I need to change anything to make it work ... such as the transfer case or whatever? Also what is the difference in the suspension .... would that go into my truck also? Since it does have a plow set up without a blade ... and I have a plow for a chevy ... but it leaks .. so I could use the blade for the dodge ... Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: Difference in front ends?

It's the axles that are the main difference between the 44 and the 60. The 60 is deffinetly the more beafier of the two. It should swap right out and fit under the 1/2 ton suspension the only issue is how it is geared. If you change the front end ratio you need to do the same for the rear. The gears have to be a matched set inorder for drivability. The only issue with the suspension in the rear is the leafsprings on the 3/4 ton are 3" wide and the 1/2 ton are 2 1/2' so you would need to change all the pearches and hangers. The front end it depends if it is a heavy duty or not, Some had a leafspring suspension some had coilsprings. I can't see what would be wrong with your original front end to need to spend over $1000.00 to fix, there is not that much in there to begin with. Unless every thing on the inside need to be replaced whichis highly unlikely or if the housing is broke. New gears wich is the most expencive piece is still less than$500.00 I would go some where other than the dealer and get a second opinion.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1000. well at full retail you can eat that up pretty quick. Diff bearings, maybe a R&P.
Ball joints and axle u-joints and it's gone.

I would look for a 96 and up donor truck. The trans from the 95 isn't a direct bolt in. Yours is an electronic govoner the donor is hydraulic.

As for swappingin 2500 axlesit can be done, but plan on getting new rims too... 5 bolt on the 1500 vs 8 on the 2500.

just some food for thought

Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
mjrpaine

Ok, I have replaced just about everything in the front of my truck over the last 7 months. upper and lower ball joints, shocks, R. wheel hub assembly, pads and rotors, CAD, sway bar and links, tie rod and inner tie rod end, steering box, 2 alignments since 1st was done before getting the steering box, tires, axle u-joints, probably a couple things I am forgetting as well.

I called the dealership and gave them the vin number .... it has the dana 60 in it. He also told me it has the same tranny and it would bolt in fine ..??

He also told me that the front axle would be fine and I would have to change the rear also to make sure it is geared the same. He did say that there may be a difference if it has coil or leaf springs in the front and I should be careful when I look.

Wouldn't I be able to just re-gear the rear end to match the front?? so I dont have to change the whole back end (but then what about rims?) isnt there a way to convert them all to aither 5 or 8 lug? .... and also ... if the front of the parts truck is leaf spring ... does that mean it wont bolt into mine with the leaf springs?

I will know more this weekend when I go look at it ....

Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I usually stand away from these types of threads, because sometimes its better for you to wade in and do the job, and learn from the process. You will surely obtain wisdom above most mortal Dodge owners in the process.
There are several threads on this site dealing with an Dana 60 swap. You won't have any issues with your springs, as all 2nd gen Dodge 4bys use coil spring front suspension Make sure you get a complete axle though, and I'd be leery of those axleunit bearings in a stock D-60 from that old of a truck. Your control arms will bolt up and even your brake lines should work. I'm not sure about the U- joint at the front yoke though.
You'll want to be sure your gears match IF you use 4X4...Oh, and many a truck has had two different rims on it...for a while. Theres a rumor afloat that certain 3/4 ton vans came with 9.25 axles and 8 bolt axles, so you "could" swap axles, but new replacement parts for this setup are pricey. You'd be better off buying both axles from the 2500and swapping them in.
There are also a few threads on pavementsucks.com that deal with this swap.

Quick Reply: Difference in front ends?