2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck runs crappy when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 PM
slim929rr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck runs crappy when cold

i just put a turbo on my 99 dodge ram. its a 360 with 4:56 gears 325/70/20 tires. A t61 turbo 24lbs injectors and the computer has been flashed. im have problems with it running when the temperature outside is below 40 degrees. when the truck is goin down the road it starts to run really crappy then when i get into it it seems to clear up. when the truck starts to run crappy my air fuel gauge is all over the gauge. if anyone has any ideas let me know. im kinda stuck in a rut on what to do[/align]

Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: truck runs crappy when cold

ORIGINAL: slim929rr

i just put a turbo on my 99 dodge ram. its a 360 with 4:56 gears 325/70/20 tires. A t61 turbo 24lbs injectors and the computer has been flashed. im have problems with it running when the temperature outside is below 40 degrees. when the truck is goin down the road it starts to run really crappy then when i get into it it seems to clear up. when the truck starts to run crappy my air fuel gauge is all over the gauge. if anyone has any ideas let me know. im kinda stuck in a rut on what to do[/align]

what are all the specs of your motor? What fuel managment system are you using? what was inputed on your flash? need a little more info. From what youve said though, the 24 lbrs sound a little lacking....id run some scanners and find out more data.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
slim929rr

im only runnin 5 psi on boost. the motor stock except for the injectors. the computer has been flashed for the injectors and the 5 psi of boost. is all i can tell

Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: slim929rr

im only runnin 5 psi on boost. the motor stock except for the injectors. the computer has been flashed for the injectors and the 5 psi of boost. is all i can tell

have you had this problem before or is this a new setup? It really sounds like either a fuel delivery issue, or a sensor issue (whichcould go hand in hand with fuel delivery) Did you check the voltage on your sensors yet?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
slim929rr

nope didnt have this issue before the set up. i had a code for the map sensor being high input. and i changed it out. i havent had that code come back so far. someone told me i might have gotten some bad gas. i have no clue whats goin on

Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 AM
ron333
Captain

Bad gas is a possibility. I had it happen only once but when it did, I was surprised at how much the car was affected. I had put a few dollars of gas in the tank and drove it a mile before I parked it at the house. The next drive is when it started acting up. It would miss and sputter and kick when the engine was still warming up. Once it was at operating temperature, it would be better, but not all the way; it still would hickup occasionally and was definitely lacking normal power. I checked timing, spark plugs, wires, vacuum hoses, sensors, filters, etc. I felt I had eliminated just about everything except for the fuel itself, but I wasn't too ready to blame the fuel because I had never gotten bad fuel before and I like to know exactly what the problem is so I can fix it. Blaming it on the fuel seemed to be an easy answer and I didn't have proof that that was the problem. But, just to eliminate that idea as a possibility, I drained what I could of that gas and ran it to almost empty. I then bought half a tank from a different gas station, drove for a few more miles, and suddenly it was running perfectly again! It had been the gas after all.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

try to explain the problem in as much detail as you can.

Quick Reply: truck runs crappy when cold