2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine troubles? fuel issue? *update-fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
mopar crazy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine troubles? fuel issue? *update-fixed*

Monday night I was out partying for new years eve and the truck ran just fine. She ran like she always has. I didnt go anywhere tuesday so the truck sat in the underground parking for my apartment, probably about 40 degrees down there. Wednesday I went to start the truck up for work and thats when the issues start.

The truck idled for about 5-8 secs then just died, kinda like someone covered the throttlebody so no air could get in. I tried to restart it back up but it would just keep cranking and cranking and not catching.....although sometimes it seemed like it was gonna catch but never did. So I called my boss to pick me up on his way to work. When I got home I decided to try starting her again. It cranked over and slowly, and i mean slowly, started to come alive where it would idle. Once at idle it seemed to idle smooth, so I shut it off after 10 minutes of idling. I did notice some white smoke coming from the exhaust tips but disappeared once it got going and there was a small puddle of water under each tip. Non anti-freeze, just water. Started her back up and it just wanted to crank and choke and crank and choke and not catch.

So my dad stopped by later on and he looked at it. After a few attempts to get the motor to finally catch and idle my dad decided to give her some gas, which i never did when i had her running. If we slowly give her gas she will increase in RPM's without a problem but if you stomp on it, it will run rough and cough / choke and backfire. If we take the foot off the gas once at a smooth high RPM she will backfire as the RPM's decrease. There was soem black smoke coming from the exhaust tips as well at a higher RPM if i remember right and the small puddle of water below as well.

Having the flowmaster 44's on there just didnt sound like it should during all this, even as a smooth idle / high RPM.....it just didnt have that bark sound that im use to. Sorry for being so long but thats what the truck is doing.

You guys think it could be water in the gas tank / fuel lines? O2 sensor issues? My dad rulled out a blown head gasket since the truck doesnt overheat and the oil on the dipstick looks the normal dirty oil color. Any other ideas from you guys before I end up having this thing towed to a local garage?

Newer plugs / cap/ rotor/ coil/ cat is about 3 - 4yrs old from the recall. No prior issues before wednesday morning.

*UPDATE* Long story short, the culprit was the ignition coil. I now fall into that category of ' dont buy the Accel performance coil ' for our trucks. It lasted about 6 months for me and this is what happened. Im just boggled on how these thigns just all of a sudden stop working. My tip for anyone reading this is to save all your old working parts, you will never know when you will need to switch something out to see if something is bad knowing an old part is still good yet.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
tazme695
Default RE: engine troubles? fuel issue?

puel pump/ or presure reg! the could weather finishes them off!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
tazme695

could be fuel line freeze up but havn't seen it lately! try throwing a bottle of heet in the tank!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

ALchohol in the tank will make her run, Cheap so if it doesnt work your just out of 1$$$

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Tonight's update.

I should have mentioned that when I turn the key to the 'on' position I hear the fuel pump activating. I was reading in the Hayens manual about the IAC sensor and there is a method on how to check if it is working properly according to that book. I'll see if you guys agree.

Unbolt the IAC from the throttlebody but leave the wire connector plugged into it. Turn the key to the 'on' position, the pintle should pull inward / retract. Does that sound right guys? I did checked that out on my truck tonight and my IAC pintle does not move at all, it just stays in the same 'extended' position.

Think it's time to visit Napa tomarrow and purchase a new IAC after work?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Now that the truck is fixed I think Im going to keep the new IAC which I purchased the other day hoping that was the culprit to the issue. The old one wasnt in that bad of shape but for $45.00 from Autozone you cant really go wrong. Plus when I stomp on the pedal at x speed, she just takes off now.

Quick Reply: engine troubles? fuel issue? *update-fixed*