2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Belt Squeak or Bad Pulley? + Volt Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt Squeak or Bad Pulley? + Volt Question

I've got a nasty squeak of sorts coming from my serp belt or something. Thing is, the belt seems perfectly fine. No Cracks, no fraying, feels tight, looks like it's not all too old. But I'm getting a squeak now. Before, it sounded like it had a bad pulley bearing. It sounds like metal is on metal and it needs greasing, if that makes sense. It's coming from the alternator side, but I don't know if it's coming the alternator for sure.

But that plays into my next question. I've been getting a voltage spike lately. Apon start up, the truck will run at a steady 14 volts. As it warms up however, it will jump almost to 16. It didn't start doing that until I got my system installed. I know that over powering things can fry anything, so I'm a bit concerned.

Could the squeak I'm hearing be coming from the alternator which might be going bad and causeing the voltage spike?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Belt Squeak or Bad Pulley? + Volt Question

mine started doin that yesterday, it runs at around 16. i just turn on my cb, gps and radio and it helps alittle bit lol but id like to find out the cause as well.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

I've got a nasty squeak of sorts coming from my serp belt or something. Thing is, the belt seems perfectly fine. No Cracks, no fraying, feels tight, looks like it's not all too old. But I'm getting a squeak now. Before, it sounded like it had a bad pulley bearing. It sounds like metal is on metal and it needs greasing, if that makes sense. It's coming from the alternator side, but I don't know if it's coming the alternator for sure.

But that plays into my next question. I've been getting a voltage spike lately. Apon start up, the truck will run at a steady 14 volts. As it warms up however, it will jump almost to 16. It didn't start doing that until I got my system installed. I know that over powering things can fry anything, so I'm a bit concerned.

Could the squeak I'm hearing be coming from the alternator which might be going bad and causeing the voltage spike?
To make sure its the alt getting ready to take a dump , spray some wd-40 in the pully and see if it helps some , i knowmine slowely going cause when its really damp outside it squeals like a pig till i give it some wd-40 then she settles down..

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
hawgmill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the noise any worse/better when you are in neutral vs. in gear?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

It's alittle worse in gear. But bairly noticable. I'm assuming thats becuase of the stress under the engine when in gear.

I also noted on the past couple of days the temp has been down in the single digits and below 0, and thats when it was the worst.

I'll give the wd-40 a shot. And I'll also put some belt oil on the belt and see if that helps.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are very very careful not to kill yourself, you can use a piece of pipe about 2-3' long as a stethoscope, and place it on the NON-MOVING parts of the alternator, power steering pump, tension pulley BRACKET and idle pulley CENTER BOLT. this will amplify the sound and tell you where its coming from.

DANGER BEWARE and CAUTION - if you stick the pipe into a moving object you will kill yourself.

if nothing shows up, remove the belt and feel/turn the water pump pulley by hand. it should be smooth, no wobble, and reasonable tight. there is a bearing in that can go bad.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha just dont kill yourself, read the disclamer haha, but seriously, it could be water pump to, they start to squeek when they go to

Quick Reply: Belt Squeak or Bad Pulley? + Volt Question