2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STOP--- lets talk brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
8t5gt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOP--- lets talk brakes.

hey guys, i am in dire need of brakes for my beast, i think its time cuz time pedal goes to the floor pretty scary when i need to stop suddenly. anyway whatta u guys use on your trucks? good brakes outta the states are cheaper than the econo ones up here in canada at autoparts stores so im going to summit like i always do. im thinking of these. tell me if u ever used em or whut u find to be good. im gonna turn my old rotors and see if they turn out good, but if not these are the rotors i want.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM
CoastieJack
Rookie
Default RE: STOP--- lets talk brakes.

I bought a set of the powerslot rotors from tirerack on sale for $63 a piece, great rotors and they're beautiful. I didn't want pads as harsh as the hawks, so I sprung for a set of ceramics from autozone with a warranty. The stopping power increased tenfold from stock and they look great.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your brake pedal seriously goes the whole way to the floor, your master cylinder might be blown out... which is not cool. Or did you just mean you have to push the brakes alot harder than you use to? I blew the master Cylinder out on my old truck and the only thing stopping me was my rear brakes. Drove it like that for a couple of days until I had time to fix it too, scary ****. Has the stopping distance of a locomotive...

Also do you hear any grinding metal on metal noises? If you do then you can basically garuntee your rotors are shot.This use to happen to me all the time when I was a younger cause I never turned the radio off. If you do replace them, and you have the money then slotted rotors are a good idea. Not so sure about cross drilled in abigtruck, might be a bad idea.

Not sure about the those brake pads, never used them so hopefully someone else can give you some input there.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

aight thanks alot guys. i think i might just try em out? their a decent price. and no i dont have metal on metal noises yet but the pads are reall thin. and yes cereal killer my master is slowly leaking. i carry brake fluid with me lmfao. its the o ring where the resevoir meets the master. whats wrong with crossdrilled on a truck? whats the difference? should i jsut go with slotted and try out those pads for precedent? thanks for the input so far guys!
what about these?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Under load (not to mention the 6000 pounds of truck that's already there) there's a possibility of Cross drilled rotors breaking due to the metal being weakened by the holes in them. Now it probably isn't a big concern or they wouldn't make them, and the way theyposition the holes and the fact that the holes are circles goes along way towards not weakening the overall rotor. It's just food for though.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

alright man thanks for the info ill keep that in mind when im going 150 and i hit the brakes :P haha i think im gonna buy those pads and the second set of rotors i found. and ill turn my old ones for backups.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Slotted will be enough to allow the hot gases to escape.Cross drilledholes actually reduce the contact surface with your pads and I personally feel with these heavy trucks we need all the contact surface we can get. Plus I don't like holes in the rotorsfor us herein Canada with our frost and thaw cycles. Water getting into parts and then freezing can just be nasty on things. Anyway just acouple of personal opinions to mull over.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Scottr1110
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put ceramic pads cross drilled and sloted rotors and braided stainless brake lines and i was going on a country road going to pass this guy and he decided to go and pass the guy in front of him and went out in front of me and i locked them up at 75 mph instanly they work really good was like 100 for the pads like 70 a rotor and 70 for brake lines plus i bought new calipers for 20 each and some red spray paint and it looks all good now

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i went with the KBC green stuff ceramics with drilled rotors a while back.. havnt checked yet but im pretty sure the pads and rotors are toast.. as well as my rear discs. gonna need new pads for them..

front rotors are gonna go with the slotted.. the drilled.. atleast here int he north east.. get full of crud to fast and then become obsolete..

ceramics did do there job.. didnt have one ounce of brake dust on the new shoes

Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last set I bought were the cheapie Jasper ones from Canadian tire. $25
They are way better than anything else I ever had including The Mopar V-line, and Wagner ceramics.
I bought them when I was in a bind once and changed them in the parking lot!
They do produce more brake dust though.

Quick Reply: STOP--- lets talk brakes.