2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumble and backfiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
dodgeypete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble and backfiring Help

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post to the forum.
First I want to say I have a stock 97 Ram with 160,000 miles which I love, I do all the maintenance like I should most recently replacing the catalytic converter, my exhaust, o2 sensor and regretably the fuel pump assembly (not fun).

I want to preface this by saying I don't know a thing about newer cars and trucks, my other car is a 1972 with 70,000 original miles.

Lately when I start up the truck it idles fine but after a minute or two it idles really rough and spits out a lot of water and carbon. The smoke is white and really noticable in the cold. After a minute of this the idle flattens out and it idles fine.

When I get in it to drive after going a small distance when I have my foot in the throttle lightly it will stumble with a huge loss in power accompanied by backfiring out of the intake manifold. If I put my foot further into the gas it will get worse. If I take my foot off the gas momentarily and then get on it again it runs fine and will continue to run fine for a day or up to a month. This happens on start up mostly and does not seem to matter if the engine is cold or warmed up.

My check engine light code comes of about once a month and stays on fora day or three, the errors I get are 43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time and 12 Battery or computer recently disconnected .

Lastly I am using oil about 1 quart every 1000 miles, there are no leaks on my driveway and I just had the timing cover and the valve cover gaskets replaced. I do notice a bit of oil under the engine but not a lot.
Hopefully all4 of these items are related.

If anyone could offer any practical simply explained advice of what to look for it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time, Pete.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:24 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stumble and backfiring Help

A backfire through the intake is usually from a lean fuel condition.
Lots of thing can cause lean condition. Low fuel pressure, bad MAP or TPS sensor, Vacuum leak, etc.
You mention an oil consumption problem that might be an internal vacuum leak caused by a leaking plenum gasket.
There are tons of posts about leaking plenums here. A quick search should give you loads to read up on.

Welcome to DodgeForum

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
dodgeypete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stumble and backfiring Help

Thanks for the advice, anyone else? I've looked for vacuum leaks but was not able to locate any.

Quick Reply: Stumble and backfiring Help