2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front shocks for a 3" leveling kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
01silverram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front shocks for a 3" leveling kit ?

wondering what shocks i should have put on when doing the 3" leveling kit. I have a 2001 dodge ram sport 4X4 with the 5.9 (installed by spudsterier). I have air bags in the back thats why i went with the 3".

Im also having the headers installed and was wondering what i can do with the rest of the exhaust. Meaning new y-pipe, no cat etc. im leaning toward the single 3" cat back exhaust but may go dual if someone talks me into it.

thanks all

jeff
USMC

Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: front shocks for a 3" leveling kit ?

I like my skyjackers shocks , depends what you are after. Now the exhaust dont let any one talk to you into anything , another is emmisions law do you have em ? if the answer is yes then run a highflow cat and what ever muffler you think sounds good.. im still using my stock Y no need to upgrade still it leaks or rusted thru..

Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bilstein shocks are good
So are Rancho
So are Skyjacker

You're gonna have to go snoop around for exhaust threads. I know there's one on this site somewhere with videos and sounds clips of everyones ****. Everything sounds different, and everyones opinion is different, and alot of them are wrong. So you definetly don't want to listen to anyone else on that subject.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
01silverram
Veteran

no emissions here but i dont want some crazy loud sound either. a low rumble is good. can i delete the cat?whats the best place to get the shocks? ive owned dodge rams since 1998 but never really did squat to them........... times have changed and its time to upgrade a few things, lol

jeff

Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey jeff its a good idea to tell us the year of your ride and some specs... here my thread.. hope steve would add this as a sticky.. https://dodgeforum.com/m_678884/tm.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can take the cat off if you want, but if you're gonna do that then put a piece of straight pipe there, don't just hollow out the cat cause it drones and sounds like ****.
I have a flowmaster 40 original series in the clip in my sig if you want to know what that sounds like. Keep in mind if you take the cat off it's going to be a bit louder. Check around and check out the super 44s, magnaflows, dynomax. See what floats your boat.

as for buying the shocks check out

www.summitracing.com
www.truckaddons.com
www.4wheelparts.com

Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 AM
01silverram
Veteran

2001 ram 1/2 ton quad cab 4X4 Sport 5.9L, auto, b&g pcm, air bags. 315 70 17's are going on the truck when i find some good shocks. i like the stiffer ride like the dodge is when ya get in new from the dealer. The exhaust is up in teh air. i do have headers already so its a question of what exhaust..........cat back single or duals? i had duals put on my 98 ram quad cab back in 1998. it was the jc whitnet deal that they still sell today but for a tad more money.
Ive trusted this site since 2006 and probably before seeing i didnt have a dodge ram for quite some time (divorce) so i forgot my name and password. There are alot of guys on here that def know what they are talking about so im kinda letting this all up to the majority.

Just a nice mellow tone, a little better MPG would be nice and ofcourse the good ride up front from some decent shocks.

I appreciate all the help Ive gotten from the forum and maybe one day Ill have 4 stars...........and know what Im talking about, lol

thanks all
jeff
USMC

and a hats off to Spudsterier for a great engine swap and soon a leveling kit and exhaust job.

Quick Reply: front shocks for a 3" leveling kit ?