2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions

I have two questions if anyone can help me...I am curious to know where my exterior thermostat is that just tells me the outside air temp (it is suposed to show up in the celing area where the compass is... just always reads -40 F

second question in there is a box where my driveshaft goes into comming from the rear (the box is in the middle of the truck) and it looks to be leaking red fluid...what is this and how much would it cost to fix??? the truck does drive perfectly fine. I know the box is not the transmission. 2001 Ram Quad Cab off road pkg 4x4
Thanks for anyones help.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2 questions

i think the box you speak of is the transfer case.. witch holds tranny fluid.. and it maybe leaking out of the tailshaft seal.. if its not pooring out... i personally wouldnt worry about it.. having a shop replace the tail shaft seal (and bearing) maybe quit pricey... a bit confusing b/c ive never heard the t-case described as a box before.. to each his own

not a clue where the t-stat is for the computer.. i dont have one in my truck nor ever had to mess with one so im not too sure where its located

Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Lift hood andlook on back side of the grille. Should be right in the middle of the grille. It's called the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor.

2. Sounds like your referring to the Transfer Case, it engages when you go into 4WD. It is also filled with ATF and that should be the only red fluid in your vehicle.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie

yes it is the transfer case...man I feel dumb (first dodge)...but anyways yes it is leaking a couple drops everytime I drive it but I do have a warranty on it I just have to see if that is covered...I will check out the sensor in the front, I appreciate both of your help.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the earlier trucks have the ambient sensor mounted on the side of the rad support.
By the driver side headlight. It's black has 2 wires and tapers down to a small tip.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie

well I checked on the entire front of the truck I can't even find a place where a sensor would have been, a type of sensor that looks like the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor. but I did find some wires and plugs on the driver side fender one of them being cut. though I can't find the mate to the plug...so I'm wondering if that lead to the sensor? it has a purple and white/gray wire, I know this prob. does not help but I'm still looking... any other places they may put thoes sensors?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here it is on a Jeep grand cherokee. same sensor different location.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/grilles/hmm_ats_2004.jpg

Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2001, you've got the same year truck, should be the same.

the mounting bracket is actually bolted to the bottom side of the hood just in behind the grille, when you lift the hood it goes up in the air over your head as you lean into the truck, just look staight up under the front side of the hood next to the hood latch catch, it's there right behind the grille so that is can read the outside air before it goes thru the air conditioning condenser/radiator.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie

well I called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle from and they just told me that it has a brand new hood on it because someone else test drove the truck when it was sitting on the lot and didn't latch the hood and it poped up on them while they were driving down a rural area...so they put a brand new hood on it...I think I found a spot where it goes but I can't find where it connects to so I can just purchase another one....Though I did check under the truck and looked at the bumpers and mounts to make sure that it wasn't in a major accident but it didn't appear to be so I think he's telling me the truth on that.

Quick Reply: 2 questions