2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Studs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Kevin1169
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Studs

I need to replace a couple wheel studs on the rear hub, is it just a matter of banging out the stud or does it need to go into the shop and pressed out? Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Studs

Machine shop press.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I go to NTB they snap a stud. Then they go to Autozone and get the wrong one. Then they finally get it right. I have learned to take my four way and break the lugs before I go in. Then I write on the bill to be carefull with the studs. It seems to only be on the back. They usually use two big washers and pull the stud through with a lug nut. I have never seen how they get it out. I imagine it is with a punch and sledge, not a press.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the right way to do it is to press it out.

i've bashed some out with a sledge hammer, but that's not the right way to do it because of the stress it puts on the bearing, and it could lead to bearing failure.

i think there is a press tool that allows you to do it on the vehicle. check with the free tool loan (deposit required) at autozone and advance.

Quick Reply: Wheel Studs