2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hood latch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:14 PM
ram/5.9/sport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood latch stuck

i have a 1996 dodge ram sport with a 5.9 one day i go to open the hood and the hood would pop open and there is alot of lang in the cable how do i get the hood open now

Old 12-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: hood latch stuck

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Did your hood release cable break, or are you asking how to get the hood open after you pull the release handle and the hood pops open to the safety latch position?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:31 AM
RcBandit28
Captain

There is a hood latch recall on these trucks. Maybe check into that.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
ram/5.9/sport

i pull the handle and it doenst pop and the cable has alot of lag in it

Old 12-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Ah, I see. Sounds like the cable broke. I'm not sure if you can access the latch mechanism from underneath or not. I'll take a look at the latch on my Ram tomarrow and let you know.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:30 AM
ram/5.9/sport

i think i might be able to try and acess it through the under neath with like a coat hanger to reach up there and grab the cable i try it this weekend cause i am only 15 soi cant drive it any were without a parent

Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ram/5.9/sport

i think i might be able to try and acess it through the under neath with like a coat hanger to reach up there and grab the cable i try it this weekend cause i am only 15 soi cant drive it any were without a parent
That's what I was thinking...either that or pass the coat hanger inbetween the grill shell and the rubber weatherstripping on the headlight (make sure to put a towel or rag on the grill side though so it doesn't get scratched. The latch mechanism itself may be covered by the housing though, preventing access. I'll take a look at it in the morning and get back to you.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

I took a look at it today, and there is an opening in the housing on the drivers side, towards the bottom. You could probably get it open using a coat hanger, but it looks like it'll be a b!tch to do. If you don't have any luck with that, you could reach up from underneath and unbolt the whole assembly itself, but you'll have to remove the bumper to be able to reach it (unless you have Gumby arms).

Quick Reply: hood latch stuck