2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans-X---Do I have to drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 AM
cnorris
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans-X---Do I have to drain?

Trans-x
So my tranny is a little rough from P to R.....a friend of mine told me to drop in some Trans-X fluid and that I don't need to drain my ATF after 1000 miles like it says on the can. He also said I don't need to drain aquartof ATF first, that I can just pour it inand just leave the stuff in...I'm a little weary at not following thedirections. There is probably a good reason for the directions ya know? Any thoughts? Does this stuff help?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
ramit2001
Rookie
Default RE: Trans-X---Do I have to drain?

I am always a little hesitate about using all of the additives aswhich ones work and which ones don't. Have you had your tranny flushed and the filter changed. Also have the bands adjusted. I do believe this should be done every 30,000 miles. Good luck, I just had to rebuild mine and I have 120,000 miles on mine.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be leary of flushing the tranny of a high mileage vehicle if you don't know if it's ever been done before.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
cnorris
Rookie

its got 103,500 miles on it and I bought it with 101k miles on it. I have no idea how recently the fluid was changed. You think if the ATF is red I can go ahead and change because its been done more recently and if its brown leave it be?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i have290000 kmson my truck and its never been flushed so i am not going to flush it, it never does good to what i hear

Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

I have usedTrans-X on that Pontiac TH-400 transmission you see in my avatar. I don't know what good it did, but you should have the tranny serviced first like rammit2001 said. Flushed? Not particualarly. Then if you still have this problem, try it or Lucas, which is what I use now. After service you will be able to just change the fluid and filter.

I have not had my tranny flushed but I have changed the fluid and filter, but I need to have the bands adjusted. Actually, I may do that myself if I can get an inch pounds torque wrench.

Get a Chilton's for your truck.

P.S. Unless your truck was rode hard and put away wet, your transmission should make it to 180 easy. Mine is at 192

Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

You are not parked on a hill are you?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM
cnorris
Rookie

parked flat, not rode hard.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Your truck is probably fine and I wouldn't add anything. My bet is even if you service the transmision it won't help any.
That clunk is there for two reasons. All Rams have a lot of backlash. When you put it into drive you’ll fill the same clunk just not as loud. The reason it’s louder in reverse is because there is more hydraulic pressure applied inside of the tranny to get it to go into reverse then there is shifting into drive. Most of the play that is causing that clunk is in the yoke. When you buy the truck brand new there is a lot of grease in side of the yoke so that there is a cushion for the yoke. As the years go by the grease gets dissolved and goes away. To fix it you would need to pull the yoke from the transmission and put a bunch of grease in there. If you do this then the clunk will go away but only for a couple of weeks or so.

Adjusting the bands will do nothing for the park to revers or the park to drive. The bands only help the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. I would be very careful about what you add to the tranny fluid. These transmission are extremly picky about the fluid inside of them. You should be using ATF +4

Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

if it hasnt been flushed dont flush. i ahd mine flushed by a transmission guy after my transfer case was rebuilt. and not 2 weeks later was i back in the same shop getting my tranny rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Trans-X---Do I have to drain?