2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
siberjon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle question

I just got my build sheet e-mailed to me from Dodge, couple quick questions:

I have a 2001 2500 quad cab 4x4 w/ 360 v8

First: What is the "Heavey Duty Service Group"?

Second: This is the axle setup I have:

Dana M60/248MM Front Axle
4.10 Axle Ratio
Dana M60 HD/248MM Rear Axle
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

I feel a wierd jerking coming from the rear now and then. Almost as if the limited slip is kicking in and out. I very rarely (couple times a year) do brake torques but i do know that both tires spin / smoke so it is locking up. What could be the problem?

I know there is talk aboutgood andbad axles that these trucks came equiped with, which are these?

What options to I have for putting a locker on the rear and possibly the front BUT i do not want them locked all the time, just when i choose to do some mudding. I think what i need is an electric or remote locking diff... How hard is it to equip these axles with that option.

Last Question:
Napa has asked me this several times, Do i have the LD 360 v8 or the HD 360 v8

NowI know from my vin thatI have the Light Duty engine, what is different about the Heavey Duty?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Default RE: axle question

You have Dana 60 axles front and back. These are strong units and I'm pretty sure most selectable locker companys make products for them. I can't see how a dana 60 would be talked about as bad axle, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
zique
Captain

The LD is Light Duty the HD is Heavy Duty. If your build sheet comes with the "Heavy Duty Service Group" I'd say that's what you are looking at. Since I'm a 1500 owner and a little unfamiliar with the common set-ups of your truck, I cant be very specific. However, I would say you are looking at a beefier trans and t-case and those 4.10's are possibly part of it as well. As far as engine, the 360 would be a light duty engine, your cummins would be your heavy duty (as I see it). Spring ratings (maybe tow package) could be part as well. I hope that makes sense and I'm not just rambling.

As for your "weird jerking" a LSD reacts much different than a locker. LSD's run off clutch discs and tend to "chatter" when it's not slippery enough to fully lock, but you don't have quite enough traction to prevent it from wanting to apply pressure to those discs (lead foot around corners --> senses slip because outer wheel has to spin more).

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
siberjon

Thanks for the fast replies!!!

On the axles it is usually when i am slowly backing up and turning that it gets the jerking feeling. Now i have owned other trucks with LSD but this is the first time I have come across that.

The engines:
That is exactly what I though too gaser is the Light duty and Diesel is the Heavey Duty BUT he looked up the Heavy duty and it was a gas. He said the diesel is under a different section!

I kind of though the dana 60's were decent but i though there was one that wasn't the best...correct me if I am wrong but is it the 9.25 chrysler axle that doesn't hold up as well.

Thanks again guys for the fast replies...glad to see i am not the only person doing very little at work today

Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

My opinion is that the chrysler 9.25 is a stout axle, not common for breakage. The only complaint I've heard about it is that its a c-clip axle.
If your looking into selectable lockers check out ARB, OX locker, and Eaton. I know those companys have units for Dana 60's.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
zique
Captain

ORIGINAL: siberjon

I kind of though the dana 60's were decent but i though there was one that wasn't the best...correct me if I am wrong but is it the 9.25 chrysler axle that doesn't hold up as well.
C9.25 is a pretty decent axle. I wonder if you were thinking of the Dana 44. There is a taper on the axle that makes it prone to breakage once you start getting bigger tires on them. I know quite a few guys with 1500's that upgrade to the D60.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
siberjon

Thanks for the advise!

It looks like the Eaton Elocker is exactly what I want...999 per axle US dollars plus shipping is going to take a little more saving.

I do have the 4:10 gears but I do a fair bit of towing and would like to get some bigger tires on there, probably BFG TA 35"eventually but that would be the biggest tire I would go.

Would it be wise to change to an evern higher gear ratio?
(keep in mind the rims and tires are about a year off)
I want to do the axles first.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

The Dana 44 is a good axle also, especially with the 30 spline axle shafts. But you are right though, you start stuffing big tires on one it will reach its limits. I think the limit for an unmodded Dana 44 is a 35 inch tire, anything above that needs upgrades.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

If you want to move into 35's you might want to consider changing gears. 4.56's would work well, but if your towing you may want to look for a little more gearing. 4.88's? 5.13's? not real sure how many options are available for the Dana 60.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM
zique
Captain

Well, if you are going to be paying someone to install the lockers for you, and you are wondering if you should regear, my advise would be to just go ahead and do it. You are paying for the install already, so it would be the price of gears (look at about $500 more in parts).

Most people here will suggest the 4.56's for a 35" tire and that is what I am planning on doing within the next month. However, I am going from 3.55's on a 1500 so it's a little different story (I'm still undecided and may end up with 4.10's in the end). The most I tow is my 7x14 enclosed M/C trailer with about 5 bikes in it.

That being said, if you are wanting more with those 4.10's you will probably not be happy (or even really notice) the slight increase with 4.56's. xskylinedx is probably correct in suggesting the 4.88's for you. 5.13's may end up being a little low for you unless you are looking for some real good off-road performance at the sacrifice of highway speed. Just my .02

Quick Reply: axle question