2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 AM
TonkaMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashing CEL

ok so I did a lil muddin over the w/e... and got a little crazy with it, lets just say I had mud in places I idnt think could hold mud. 2 days later I decided to power wash the whole thing as it is a DD and the job was gettin a little upset with the appearance. I powerwashed the engine compartment as it was caked with mud. after the wash down I tokk her for a spin, when I hit about 40-50 MPH the enigne startin sputering a little and the CEL was flashing. this went on for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile then the truck ran beautifully. I hit the highway took her up to around 80 and performed flawlessly. the truck is all stock under the hood so I am guessing I just managed to get a little water into the air intake. I havent been able to reproduce the event which is a good thing I guess. the truck is a 99 1500 with 360 engine. about a year and a half ago basicly the whole engine was rebuilt by the dealer due to the head issues and tranny issues with that engine and I havent had any problems since. Any thought welcome... sorry for the long post.

PS pics are on myspace page heres the link http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1484971

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
TonkaMan
Rookie
Default RE: flashing CEL

nobody has any thought on this?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

I would say you got water in to somekind of Sensor or thewire connectors and the Pcm got confused so its gave the CEL light. it will be fine it just needed to dry out

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

flashing CEL means misfire, probably got water somewhere you weren't suppose to...

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

A flashing CEL Means a serious Misfire, and you should stop driving the vehicle when that happens. It can cause you to throw a rod or piston. I.E. not good.

It's good that it stopped, but take your truck to a shop and have them serach the PCM for stored codes. Make sure you didn't hurt something badly.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
spaz_22
Captain

a flashing cel means that whatever is wrong with your truck is cataylist damaging. Meaning it can and is damaging your catalitic coverter. Generally what this means is that your throwing raw gas into the exhaust by a misfire....generally caused by no spark or a stuck open fuel injector. You may have gotten water into the cylinder which cuased the fuel and air not to burn correctly and sent too much gas into the exhaust....is there still a cel??

Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

A flashing CEL Means a serious Misfire, and you should stop driving the vehicle when that happens. It can cause you to throw a rod or piston. I.E. not good.

It's good that it stopped, but take your truck to a shop and have them serach the PCM for stored codes. Make sure you didn't hurt something badly.

Mmmmm, OK. That's a new one on me. I was plagued with a flashing CEL on my truck even after I rebuilt the engine. I soon discovered that the catalytic converter was plugged since cylinders 6 and 8 were reporting the misfire. I don't see how a misfire can throw a rod.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

yEA i was kinda wondering how a misfire can cause a bent/thrown rod?? please Explain. I drive **** all the time that runs on 7 cylinders half the time and the rods are still in the motor

Old 01-18-2008, 06:12 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have a 99 1500 with the 360 and i pressurewashed the motor and mine did the same thing, except i turned around and went back home, (washed it at home) and couldnt get it to start again, turns out my coil went dont know if it was related or what but that happend

Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 AM
TonkaMan
Rookie

well tonka has been runnin like a champ ever since... no strange noises or lost power or any of that horrible stuff. as far as the bent/thrown rod I did have a misplaced rod a while back (again fixed by dealer... I ended up gettin a new engine and trans for the $200 deductible and was done with it) I drove around for about a month after they found out it was a misplaced rod, they were waitin on the parts, and I never got a flashing CEL it would just come on randomly and stay on. The two theories that sound the best are the water in the cylinder and the cat bein clogged as I do run a cutout right after the cat. whatever it was it seems to have worked itself out as the truck is runnin great I have put about 200-300 miles on it since the incident without the slightest hicup.

and yes I know my spelling sux

Quick Reply: flashing CEL