2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

im new so dont shoot me if i beat a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im new so dont shoot me if i beat a dead horse

I have a 98 ram 1500 5.2l reg cab auto trans. My truck has had a shuddering problem since i bought it in 04. Only when i go from like 30 to 45 then to 55 mph is wear i notice it most. Then i have to step into it to get it to quit. Also when its cold out (mostly) the trans dont wanna shift into 3rd. I have been told to shift truck into D then R a couple of times to help warm up tranny and sometimes it seems to work. What do you think do i need a new trans or is it something easy i can check any and ideas are appreciated. Eric

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: im new so dont shoot me if i beat a dead horse

I didn't have the shuddering problem, but on my 1995 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2, I used to have the same shifting problem. Had a transmission guy take a look at it, and said it was a sticky valve. He poured some kind of transmission cleaner fluid into my tranny fluid, and it fixed it... for about a week. Then the problem returned, and I had to replace the transmission fluid filter because the cleaner ruins it.

I ended up just learning to deal with it. I always tried to let the pickup idle in neutral for a bit before driving anywhere, and that seemed to help. I'm assuming it warmed up the gears a little. As soon as the shift problem rears its head, try letting off the gas. My Dakota would usually shift into third then.

My guess is the shuddering has to do with the tranny too, but I'm by no means an expert in that department.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

Thats what i kinda figured about having to live with it. Its been doin it since 04. Hoping it was an adjustment or somethin. When i do let off gas it usually shifts but sometimes not even then maybe mine is just one step closer to goin out

Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine did it from around 2003 (I acquired it in 2002) to this year when I traded it in for my Ram. Never got worse, never got better. I doubt it will go out because of the shifting problem. Mine didn't. More likely it's a step closer to going out if that shuttering problem is in the tranny.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably the torque converter and soleniod. It will cost you 450 dollars at a dealership.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

bump

Quick Reply: im new so dont shoot me if i beat a dead horse