2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor question

Ive never replaced one, and wouldnt be able to tell whats a good one compared to a real worn one. If no check engine light is on due to it, how do you know when an O2 Sensor's life is just about shot?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: O2 Sensor question

recommended replacement is something like every 60k - 100+k. there not supposed to last forever, but some do. the most tell-tale sign is when it runs like ****, seems to run/smell rich, and/or your gas mileage changes. normal mpg is more or less something like 13-14-15 mpg (individual results may vary). if you're getting something a lot worse than that, its worth a shot. only be concerned with the front one (before the cat), as it provides feedback to the pcm for fuel trim. the one after the cat only monitors the cat and you should ignore it unless you get a cel saying your cat is not working.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always considered relying on the CEL to indicate when the O2 sensor is bad to be unreliable. I believe the O2 sensor can slowly lose its ability to perform all while the PCM thinks it's OK. If the O2 sensor has a lot of white-looking substance on it, or looks burnt black, then change it. I also believe the recommended change interval is 50-65K miles. I just changed out my downstream O2 connector today, and it has 145K miles on it. I bought the truck when it had a little over 120K miles on it and have been performing maintenance repairs as I could afford.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:43 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot you two! From the looks of it it hasnt been replaced since stock, thats 125k Miles ago. [:@]Will replace it next pay check.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor question