2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 PM
sitnlopro99gt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Question

I have a 94 dodge ram I'm trying to get the starter off I got the two top bolts, but the bottom one which is a stud is not budging...I tired to tap it pry and still nothing yet....is the starter part threaded there to. Any suggestions...I was thinking maybe a stud removal socket tool...I don't have a torch so[/align]

Old 01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starter Question

Breaker bar, and flex it. The only problem I had with my starter was trying to see to put the new one back. You may want to liquid wrench it, wire brush it down, then try again. It should walk on off of there. Are you using a 1/2 in drive ratchet?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on my 01 there was only 1 bolt on the top. you might have removed an unrelated bell housing or something. back to that later. the stud at the bottom was pressed into the trans/bell housing? and the starter simply slides over it. it did not thread into the starter. mine were torqued down to some superhuman level too. what i had to do was use a heavier 1/2 in drive socket and a long pull handle to break them loose. i actually had more trouble with the top than the bottom, and had to use some long extensions to get the handle out there where i could really pull on it. if you don't have a pull handle, or air wrench that you can get on it, try to put a piece of pipe onto your ratchet handle. use care not to round off the nut, but you're gonna have to put more pull onto it. make sure you're turning it to the left (sorry), but sometimes people get confused laying upside down.

edit. 1BIG beat me to the post, but i would try real hard not to put a flex/u-joint in there because it tends to twist and absorb your pulling torque and slide off the nut.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
sitnlopro99gt

yea I was thinking I might have taking off a bellhousing bolt. The two bolts on top where easy after I broke them loose its just the dam bottom stud thats being a b*tch almost like its rust welded in the whole where it won't even budge even after bashing it....grrr thanks for your help so far guys

Old 01-19-2008, 06:07 PM
sitnlopro99gt

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

Breaker bar, and flex it. The only problem I had with my starter was trying to see to put the new one back. You may want to liquid wrench it, wire brush it down, then try again. It should walk on off of there. Are you using a 1/2 in drive ratchet?
Yea I was using a 3/8" socket with a 1/2 drive, I got the nut off the stud on the bottom and everything its just not budging....

Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

double check the top.. maybe? you removed the wrong bolt. my top one was brutally tight and it was a big sucker, and once the top and bottom were off, the starter was ready to just fall off. careful, its heavy.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:27 PM
sitnlopro99gt

Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
sitnlopro99gt

Don't mind the starter we was havin words but thats the stud that I think is holdin my back because I got the top bolts. Thx guys

Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i think someone stole half your starter while you weren't looking. i'd spray pb-blaster or wd40 into every nook and cranny and let it soak awhile, then put a block of wood on that thru-bolt flange and knock the fu** out of it with a hammer. thread the lower nut back on with about 1/4 inch free space so it doesn't fall off when it comes loose.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

wow That sucks, I think you ahve a rear main seal leak on your engine too

Quick Reply: Starter Question