2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

last min. heater core decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default last min. heater core decision

I need to replace my heater core, and I'm for an 800 mile trip in 2 weeks so I figure I should get this done; well it was a last second decision to use my last bucks on a heatore core and replace it this weekend. SO I found the writeup but have a few questions;

What all should I get beside the heater core? I would like to keep it under 100 bucks. found a core at autozone.com for 74.99.

I'm just replacing strictly the heater core, so does anyone have pictures or more detailed instruction on how to take out and replace the core without affecting the a/c system and/or the refridgerant.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: last min. heater core decision

Just get an OE style core. I would avoid the aluminum core at all costs as I do not trust the flange connector that allows the two lines to rotate. You DO NOT have to vacuate the A/C system. It's just a tight fit if you don't, that's all. Get an OE copper/brass unit like original. Rock Auto has them. Follow the DIY write-up and you'll be fine.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah I just need to get the core tomorrow if I'm going to do it at all, lol.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:44 PM
nolazach
Veteran

I did one in my friends 03. He used a regular autozone core with the flange. I don't know how different it is from the 2nd gen one {knocking on wood} mine hasn't had any trouble yet. I did his over a year ago and he hasn't had any problems. Mainly no leaks, no overheating no smells in the truck. wasn't the easiest to get to, but you can do it in a day.

But We have only had a few cold days this year and don't use the heater as much. Its like 50 now. Thats frigid for us. Anything lower than 40 and I don't leave the house. lol

Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

Well I don't need it so much for heat, just the smell is aggravating lol. it's soaked into the cloth so once I change it out, i'm gettin new seat covers and shampooing the stuff. I'd like to just buy some new carpet.

Quick Reply: last min. heater core decision