2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damn it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Tarner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn it!!!!

For the second time in a month and a half my truck wouldn't start. It would just crank and crank and try to sputter like on cylinder would fire every 2 seconds or so. I went to the Auto parts store and got some heat and starting fluid. It didn't make any difference. Then the last time I tried top start it I pushed the peddle all the down and it started to cough a little and then after a couple more tries like this it stared. After it started it ran fine. What in the hell is going on with my truck now????

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Damn it!!!!

if it consistently won't crank w/o mashing the gas pedal,
and it consistently cranks when you do mash the pedal some,
i would guess the IAC is not working, or its port is crudded up.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Tarner
Professional

It was acting like it didn't have any spark at first. I drove the truck after it started up and it ran fine. When I got back home I shut it off and then started it again and it fired right up. I let the truck sit for about an hour and tried to start it and again it started up fine. Same thing after waiting three hours. I thought about it being the IAC but it wouldn't even fire. When my IAC was acting up before It would fire up and just die.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 PM
spaz_22
Captain

...sounds like a leaking fuel injecter to me....when you let it sit for a long time it fills the cylinder up with fuel...causing you to flood the cylinder......maybe...maybe not

Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Tarner
Professional

I don't think that one cylinder getting flooded would cause it not to start though.

What color spark should I have coming off the coil? I pulled the coil wire and used a screw driver to ark off the coil post checking for spark. The spark was orange, not blue like you see off a plug. The coil is only a month old.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Tarner
Professional

I don't get it. The last time my truck did this to I leaving to go snowboarding. Yesterday it did this and guess what I was leaving to go snowboarding. I think my wife put a hex on me and my truck when I'm leaving for the day to go play. Today the truck is starting fine and my wife is having a hey day with it. Ugh.... women truly are evil

Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

Sounds to me like a poor connection to the fuel pump. That happened to my ram. Te plug was nasty. cleaned it up and has started and ran ever since

Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Tarner
Professional

Yeah, but I had good fuel pressure. 45PSI at the rail and you could hear the pump kick on when you turned the key on. I'm sticking to my wife having evil powers. LOL!!!

I'm thinking that the truck flooded and when you stomp the peddle the PCM will stop the injectors from spraying. But why it flooded in the first place is a mystery to me.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
spaz_22
Captain

....leaking fuel injectors.....

Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

i would lean more to the fuel injectors too.. thats what it sounds like to me.. but the fuel pump could also be the culprit.. when your mashing the gas and it finally starts.. your helping it gain the pressure.. when it sits for a period of time (over night) it could be losing pressure.. when they go.. they can be funny about how they do it.. but i wouldnt rely on just the one pressure reading you got.. when you got the system pressurized when it started.. it might in all cases be fine.. but im gonna guess injectors.. or pressure.. it should keep pressure when its off too .. it shouldnt lose it all .. and by you pumping it.. its helping the pressure get back up to useable range..

Quick Reply: Damn it!!!!