2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS & BRAKE Warning Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:16 PM
swirvin21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS & BRAKE Warning Lamps

Hey Gents,

Been having an ongoing problem with my brake system and have not been able to identify it. While driving my ABS and BRAKE warning lamps will come on. My speedo works and I have not noticied any other telltale signs. After I shut off the ignition and restart the vehicle they disappear. About 5-10mins later they pop back on again....but not everytime of course. Unfortunately they haven't popped on during dealership service hours, so I haven't been able to see if it throws a code while the lamps on are. Any suggestions???

Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
RamMan_8520
Rookie
Default RE: ABS & BRAKE Warning Lamps

This same thing happened to me when i was driving home a couple of weeks ago and its a sensor on top of the rear diff about 30$ dollars.I think its called the abs sensor nut i dont remember ill try and find my post on it that i had

Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 PM
00RAM360

Mine did this too, and I'm pretty sure the name of the part is a rear wheel speed sensor.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
swirvin21

I read that in a few of the other posts, but my speedometer hasn't been affected so I was assuming it was a different problem. Brake fluid is good, but I'll top it off just to be sure. Was eventually going to do the rear cylinder swap to the 1 ton model, but wasn't ready just yet. Sounds like alot of people tried the Chevy larger size, but I shouldn't need that much. Might have to go buy a code reader after all.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
swirvin21

[align=left] So went to Autozone the other day and can't seem to find the rear speed sensor at the store. They keep trying to give me the one that bolts into the transfer case or another one that I have no clue where it mounts. I might just end up have to pay premium at the dealership. If anyone has the part number or a link to a DIY it'd be appreciated.

Thanks gents!
[/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
zique
Captain

The sensor that plugs to the t-case is only for 94-97. On your 98, I don't know exactly, but it seems I remember something about it being at your rear diff. I'm at school or I'd run out and check for sure for you. But I bet if you use the search function on this site you will find the answer you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
neattouch648
Professional

The brake light and the ABS light will come on if the rear-wheel ABS speed sensor is broken. This speed sensor has nothing to do with the spedometer so it won't affect that. The only thing it will do is cut out your ABS. Auto zone usually doesn't have it but Checkers does, so check those two places about $46 replacement part and it'll fix the problem right away. Once the piece is replaced you might have to drive a little bit before the lights go off... The rear-wheel abs sensor is located at the top of the rear differential, best way to get there is in front of the passenger rear tire...crawl in there and you can get to it, take it out and try cleaning it first...

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: neattouch648

The brake light and the ABS light will come on if the rear-wheel ABS speed sensor is broken. This speed sensor has nothing to do with the spedometer so it won't affect that. The only thing it will do is cut out your ABS. Auto zone usually doesn't have it but Checkers does, so check those two places about $46 replacement part and it'll fix the problem right away. Once the piece is replaced you might have to drive a little bit before the lights go off... The rear-wheel abs sensor is located at the top of the rear differential, best way to get there is in front of the passenger rear tire...crawl in there and you can get to it, take it out and try cleaning it first...
On the contrary, isn't the speed sensor what sends the signal to the pcm, then to the speedometer (or some path...) to display how fast you are going? I've had my lights come on one time before. Shut the truck off and have not been on in a solid 6 months.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
swirvin21

[align=left] FIXED....unfortunately had to go to the Stealership to get one, couldn't get one elsewhere....but the military discount helped!! Threw it in this evening in the dark in under an hour, tight fit. Evidently Dodge put out a change the shifted the plug direction, so they threw in a 3" plug extension which is nice for the lift and articulation. Well worth $50.
[/align]
Going to drive it tonight and if anything happens. Wish me luck.

ps. When you don't have a spare there's plenty of room under there to work!!

Thanks agian gents!! Always grateful..
[align=left] [/align] [/align]

Quick Reply: ABS & BRAKE Warning Lamps