2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Creaking/Groaning Steering - Great Parking Lot Attention Getter!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
akyne
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeeling Steering - Great Parking Lot Attention Getter!

I don't think it could be pads, it occurs at a dead stop which more or less rules out anything rotational like that.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, then something steering related probably. It sounds like you checked everything else. What about the steering stabilizer? Maybe a loose mount, bent shaft, wrecked internals.
The track bar will also take some stress when turning at a stop but I wouldn't think it would be that.
With it in park and your wife turning the wheel, you should grab each joint under there and see if you can feel the groan. You ought to be able to feel it come through the joint. Unless it's a solid piece like the spring buckets tearing away from the frame. That's not so much fun.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
akyne
Rookie

The steering stabilizer is only about 3 months old and the track bar is new as of about 2 weeks ago. At first I thought maybe the steering stab had some road salt or something caught up in the internals so I disconnected it altogether but the noise persisted. I'm sorta at the point where I think I'll replace the u-joint on that side (start cheap) and failing that I'll just slap new ball-joints in. Even if they don't solve it, it can't hurt to replace them! Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Tarner
Professional

So when you say that it does this at a dead stop. You're saying that it does it when you are stopped and you turn the wheel? Does it do it just when you change directions from left to right? Or dose it make the noise through the entire range of motion from lock to lock.

There are a lot of things in the front end that will make some kind of noise when the joints go bad. I'm still thinking it can be anything from Hub, U-joint, ball joint, tie rod end, or track bar.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
akyne
Rookie

It makes the noise through the entire motion regardless of vehicle speed, it's just most noticeable at low speeds because typically you're not going to be cranking the wheel at 50 mph. I made the note that it makes the noise at a dead stop as well because people were suggesting things that required the vehicle to be in motion such as a brake pad dragging. It isn't the tie rod ends, those were ALL replaced in september, steering stabilzer was replaced about a month later, and the track bar was just put on last week.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Tarner
Professional

I'd say it's a ball joint or u-joint then. Leaning more to the u-joint.

Keep us updated on what it is when get it fixed.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
ak47dennis

My 01 is has a very very similar problem, I woud describe the noise more as apop /bang I alsohave new rod ends, track bar and steering box!! It is most noticable when going over bumps and slow speed steering.

My buddy that worked for a dealer saids its either
1. ball joints (which he has heard them make a similir sounds)
2. front shocks are lose, he said he has seen a few times were shock are repalced and the lower bolt isnt gunned tight. He said with this you can some times feel the bang under your feet.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
techshooter02
Amateur

when i put my 5" lift on my truck a few weeks later it started to make the identical noise as you are describing including doing it when stoped and when slowly rolling and turning.

I started to use spray lube on all the movable parts in the front end that where not greased by a grease zerk. I found that the control arms where making the noise.
they are not poly bushings in them, they are a rubber type substance. I lubed them and the sound went away for a day or so then came back, so i drilled and put grease zerks in the ends and pumped grease in them and i have not heard anything sense. this was about 2 months ago i did this.

so if you have installed anything new that required lube while installing it and you cant lube it without taking it apart i would start there. Like maybe your track bar??

*i'm new to this site as of today and i love this place i'll post pics of my 98 ram soon*

Quick Reply: Creaking/Groaning Steering - Great Parking Lot Attention Getter!