2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips...yeah?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superchips...yeah?

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

I'm hoping in May to pick myself up a SCT tuner, I think they are in the $600 range. They can set you up with 3 different custom tunes in one handhed which I think is pretty sweet. Plus I've been reading that the programmers will modify your tune for free if you make a minor change (TB, Intake, etc.) and will modify the tune for $50 if you make a major change (Forced Induction, Heads, etc.). I think the B&G are in the $300 range and from what I've read people are usually very happy with the flash. Basically I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
http://www.bgchrysler.com/index.html
http://www.sctflash.com/

I talked with KRC and SCT and usuially I like the idea of dealing directly with the producer/distributor, but in this case KRC seems to be the people to buy it from. The benifit from them that SCT doesnt help with is the tuning part. SCT can only send you generic settings (the same exact generic settings B&G sends out). When you get the SCT handheld from krc the program is about 80% accurate (about the same as the generic setting) You upload that setting to your truck and go to the dyno. Take a run on the dyno and email the results to krc. They then write a new program and email it back to you and you put that in the handheld and then upload into the truck. Continuing untill exact. They said it usuially takes about an hour of dyno time (including emailing back and forth).
I'm totally with you on going threw KRC, those guys seem to have it going on.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Isn't it just crazy? All you think about is what your going to do next, and you tell yourself "OH I'll be done after that!". And then you finally get it done, and then you just look to see what you can do next, or what you can do next to "maximize" your most recent mods lol. It's a terrible little cycle I'm in, any money I make I just automatically assume it's going into the truck, it's very addictive. I always feel like I'm in a rush to get something done, when infact I'll probably be stuck with this truck for a long time to come, so I might as well slow the pace down a little bit and take my time without screwing my money situation up. Indy how much money do you have invested into that truck anyway. I bet it's breaching $8,000

Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same way. I was going to be done after the tranny. Then I decided to go ahead and have the failing factory LSD replaced with a Auburn LSD while it was in the shop. Then I found out I also needed ball joints. While getting all that put in I decided I would order all the stuff to do the pleneum even though I'm not 100% sure that mine is bad I figure it probably will be if it isn't now so I minus well fix it. There is a little oil in there but not a ton and it doesn't seem to burn oil and also the putting your hands over the pcv and the breather works like it should.

It's one thing after another. The bottom of my steering box looked slightly wet but I hope it isn't going as I don't want it to go too. It didn't seem like it was leaking much if thats even what it was from. I will hopefully be done for a while. I'm guessing I will have well over 6k into it when I'm done with this stuff and that isn't including the pleneum.

BTW I ordered a Hypertech programmer. I got a good deal on one I found in the forsale section on here.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

Isn't it just crazy? All you think about is what your going to do next, and you tell yourself "OH I'll be done after that!". And then you finally get it done, and then you just look to see what you can do next, or what you can do next to "maximize" your most recent mods lol. It's a terrible little cycle I'm in, any money I make I just automatically assume it's going into the truck, it's very addictive. I always feel like I'm in a rush to get something done, when infact I'll probably be stuck with this truck for a long time to come, so I might as well slow the pace down a little bit and take my time without screwing my money situation up. Indy how much money do you have invested into that truck anyway. I bet it's breaching $8,000
3500 truck
@2000 cam/gears/all that stuff
1500 bolt ons/exhaust

so about 7000 total.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

Indy, do you run the stock pcm on your truck with all the work you have done to it? I guess what I will say is I have always run 93 octane, so I would like my computer to fully acknowledge that. But if that's all a superchip is going to do for me, I'd rather not spend in excess of $350 for one lol. But you don't think it would "detonate" my truck would you if I ran a superchip? They were huffin and puffin about the truck having headers, I didn't really think that was a big deal. But if it's not going to be worth it, or make a differance really, then I'd rather put the money into the intake and t/b, and stop after that.
if you'd like your shift points changed and u want to squeeze more timing out of it, then yes get it. don't expect those rediculous numbers though.

WHY DO YOU ALWAYS RUN 93 OCTANE AGAIN? that is silly and a waste of money. i WISH i could run on 87 octane!
if you want to run 93 octane for a reason, then get that tuner. otherwise, stick to 87 octane. and enjoy the benefits of a low compression stock motor.

AND REMEMBER: OCTANE IS ABOUT CONTROL, NOT POWER.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
ron333
Captain

Hey guys, I just started reading this thread. I have to give a big 2 thumbs up for the SCT tuner!!! I bought mine for $569 shipped and the guy I got it from is very responsive to questions and is very helpful. I highly suggest going through him for one if you are interested. He works with you on adjustments and won't charge for any adjustments down the road for added mods, unless you go with a major change which results in writing a new program like forced air induction, then the cost is $50 for that. If anyone is interested, PM or email me and I will pass along his contact info.

As for my experience with the tuner, my truck seems to be a totally different beast with the performance tune!!! I am only using "Stage I" tuning right now. He has sent me "Stage II" to try, but I haven't done that yet; probably tomorrow. The throttle response is instant and very much improved. WOT is almost scary. As was mentioned somewhere before, they give a basic tune to start with to be safe, then will fine tune it to your vehicle after getting info from a dyno run. Even with the basic tuning I'm running now, it was well worth the money spent. The tuner also reads and clears any PCM codes like an OBD-II scanner does. That makes it even more worth the money.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Who is mystery guy of which you speek?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Who is mystery guy of which you speek?
it is the mr. jesus?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
ron333
Captain

Ok. I just got his permission to post his contact info in my posts so here it goes. This is his reply to my question regarding broadcasting his contact info. This guy is very responsive to all questions and the tuner is AWESOME! I highly recommend him and the tuner. You guys won't be disappointed.

"Absolutely. Tell them to email hemifever@aol.com and tag the subject line with SCT Flash. I'm glad you're tickled. This is an awesome tuning solution for the '96 to '02 magnum trucks and I hope it gets out there more so folks can reap the benefits."

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ron333

Ok. I just got his permission to post his contact info in my posts so here it goes. This is his reply to my question regarding broadcasting his contact info. This guy is very responsive to all questions and the tuner is AWESOME! I highly recommend him and the tuner. You guys won't be disappointed.

"Absolutely. Tell them to email hemifever@aol.com and tag the subject line with SCT Flash. I'm glad you're tickled. This is an awesome tuning solution for the '96 to '02 magnum trucks and I hope it gets out there more so folks can reap the benefits."

yea thats not a bad price. I think I know the guy by a diffrent name.