2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thinking of getting this truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
LithiumMurdock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of getting this truck

I posted here awhile back asking opinions on a truck I was thinking of driving. Since it was over priced and under-powered I chose not to get it. I have been on the look out ever since and finally found something that caught my attention.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/555083503.html
It is 4x4 and has power windows, locks and mirrors.
2001 Black Dodge Ram Pickup. V8 5.9 Liter. Sport edition with chrome rocker panels, step-up bars and fog lights. Automatic, club cab, but all 4 doors open. Brand new studded snow tires (not pictured). Transmission replaced in 2005. U-joints, rotors, and brakes replaced in the last year. Priced approximately $1500 under blue book value. 132,000 miles. $7000.

considering the price, miles, etc... Would this be a decent buy? I seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I was also wondering what is different in the Sport? Im guessing suspension and a few other things?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thinking of getting this truck

Sports have bumpers, grill, and tail lights painted to match the rest of the truck. On a 01 like that it's a different style bumper on the older sports its the same style as the non sport just painted.

Do the sports have different wheels? The sport package is just an appearance package. The offroad package however has a few extra things if you find one with that including a small lift.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty nice...I would ask for proof that the tranny was replaced and ask how it has been serviced since then. Overall, I say if you like it, go for it. If the tranny was replaced, it should be apretty solid truck.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like a pretty nice truck. tranny, brakes, u-joints are normal for 132k. priced about right. but, i wouldn't call it $1500 under book. when you test drive it check out the 4wd on dirt and make sure it doesn't grind or bang. if everything works ok and you like it i'd say go for it.

if the plenum has never been repaired be prepared for that in your future. also its about time for water pump. these are normal. easy to do them together.

sport is appearence only. not suspension. painted bumpers, dual headlights.
i tell everyone this - try to negotiate him down a little bit, 250-500.

KBB says.
excellent 8397
good 7700
fair 6825

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
LithiumMurdock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the helpful replys. She is going to give me the number of the person who did the transmission work. brakes etc were done at Les Shwab. I asked for a Carfax report.

Quick Reply: thinking of getting this truck