2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wow, it sure runs bad with a dead battery!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 09:24 PM
1980blackfiveoh
|
Professional
Default wow, it sure runs bad with a dead battery!

So this morning I come out to a dead battery, no big deal as it is the original and I kinda thought it was going. I boast it with 55 amps off my chargerand after quite a struggle I get it going.... well for about 15 seconds! It was acting like it was hitting maybe 3 out od 10 cylinders. Then it wouldn't restart. I thought "great and new battery and a tow to get the starting problem fixed". I go and grab a battery, and it fires rightup good as new!I suspect that there wasn't enough juice to run everything including the electric fuel pump and I didn't keep it running long enough for the alternator to start charging.

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:49 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: wow, it sure runs bad with a dead battery!

yep... sounds like it.

Old 02-07-2008 | 02:26 AM
01Tx1500
Rookie

LMAO, you should of seen me before when I had a dead battery. Everytime I let off the gas the truck died, I was freaking out wondering what the hell it could be. Luckily for me, I was parked next to a fellow forum member when it started doing it andthey told me what it was, lol.

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:43 PM
1980blackfiveoh
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: 01Tx1500

LMAO, you should of seen me before when I had a dead battery. Everytime I let off the gas the truck died, I was freaking out wondering what the hell it could be. Luckily for me, I was parked next to a fellow forum member when it started doing it andthey told me what it was, lol.
LOL I was shock how bad it ran! I though for sure somthing was royaly f**ked and it was going to be tons of $$ to fix. I'm so used to old school carbed where you do a quick jump start and your back in business. I can't complain, yesterday was the first time it hasn't started for me.

Old 02-07-2008 | 05:18 PM
lucas3397
Professional

That has happened to me before but I didnt know it was because the battery didnt have enough power to run everything. Why is it that that doesnt happen everytime. I have seen people leave there lights on all night which of course runs the battery completely dead and when its jump started it runs just fine w/o and hesitation.

Old 02-07-2008 | 06:25 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

My batt died in nov. Got it jumped and too would die if i let of accelerater. Unfortunatly I had to powerbrake all the way home. Atleast i was able to use that as an excuse everytime i left a light and "accidently" sqwauked the tires.

Old 02-08-2008 | 05:46 AM
HankL
Champion

over the years there have been many posts
where Magnum V8 engine acted really strangely
...all cured by a new battery!

The Dodge PCM computer seems to be really sensitive
to low voltage.

Old 02-08-2008 | 08:59 AM
Ramsrush
Professional

Yea my transmission quit working because of a bad battery.Limped to work in 2nd gear I think,it was strange.Truck started good that morn. made it to work, shut it off and it wouldn't start back,jumped it off,made it to auto zone,got a new Duralast and poof new truck again.

Quick Reply: wow, it sure runs bad with a dead battery!