2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Shifting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:40 PM
hometheaterman
|
Champion
Default Tranny Shifting ?

I got my truck back from the shop with my new APS Preformance Transmission in it. It didn't shift as hard as I thought it might as I had never driven a truck with a shift kit before. This is good new to me as I thought it might be too hard shifting. Well, my concerns are that if I get on the gas full throttle it shifts at around 4k rpms instead of the rev limited. Is this normal? I know I had the TV cable adjusted when my old tranny wouldn't shift at full throttle and it lowered when it shifts down like that so it would shift. Well, I'm thinking it may be set the same as it still seems like it shifts early. Is this normal or should I have them adjust the TV cable? The second thing is when it shifts from 1st to 2nd at light throttle it kind of has a bounce feel to it like it bounces into 2nd. My old tranny felt like this after the anchor fell out and ever since I got it back with that in. I can't remember if it was like that before that. Is this normal or should I have them look at it? It isn't bad enough to bother me just I don't want to kill the new tranny. Thanks guys.

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:50 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Default RE: Tranny Shifting ?

Well, i would say give it a few 100 miles to let it break in and if it still feels funny take it back or call APS. I would not want to destroy a 2000+$$ tranny

A tranny with a shift kit usually shifts very firm depending if its mild or wild.

Maybe try adjusting the kickdown cable, to see if that helps, maybe that tranny like its a little different than the stocker

Old 02-07-2008 | 01:56 PM
hometheaterman
|
Champion

It shifts a little firm but really honestly doesn't feel much different than I remember the stock one feeling when it was in proper working order.

Old 02-07-2008 | 03:46 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

It should definitely shift at a higher rpm at WOT, Mine shifts right before the rev limiter, I have no idea what RPM that is because i do not have a tach

Old 02-07-2008 | 05:20 PM
hometheaterman
|
Champion

I'm thinking maybe they left the tv cable how it was adjusted before where it was adjusted to make it shift like that. Or maybe they adjusted it to shift like that as I have talked to someone else who had his setup like that. He said it was because the power dropped off after that which is true.

Quick Reply: Tranny Shifting ?