2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick Question about Tranny Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quick Question about Tranny Fluid??

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

-1 on the valvoline synthetic ATF, I would go with mopar ATF +4, I think you can get it, at walmart............
Thanks man, I looked for the Mopar but I couldn't find it here. I ended up at O'Reilly's and went with the synthetic as it seemed to be better than the regular. I am having some trouble now though and I made another post about it if anyone has any information. Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-1 on the valvoline synthetic ATF, I would go with mopar ATF +4, I think you can get it, at walmart............
i agree 100%

running synthetic tranny fluid is too expensive to justify its use. you don't need it on a street vehicle. its a waste of money if you arehoping tofeel a difference by swapping in synthetic fluid.
go with the MFGs fluid or the equivalent. just dont go with "joe's tranny fluid".

EDIT: as far as the fluid level is concerned, the only way you would hurt the trans,if you are a quart or two down,is if you launched the truckrepeatedly on slicks and the oil sloshed back to the rear of the trans several times and you wereat high load and low line pressure.not likely. but if you run it with the fluid too low, you risk low line pressure and damaged clutches.

when was the last time you serviced the transmission anyway? if its been a long time, you might as well drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill the fluid.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

i agree 100%

running synthetic tranny fluid is too expensive to justify its use. you don't need it on a street vehicle. its a waste of money if you arehoping tofeel a difference by swapping in synthetic fluid.
go with the MFGs fluid or the equivalent. just dont go with "joe's tranny fluid".

as far as the fluid level is concerned, the only way you would hurt the trans is if you launched the truckrepeatedly on slicks and the oil sloshed back to the rear of the trans several times and you wereat high load and low line pressure.not likely.

when was the last time you serviced the transmission anyway? if its been a long time, you might as well drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill the fluid.
Since I don't drive my truck every day, that's why I decided to go with the synthetic fluids; that way I can go quite a bit between fluid changes. I've had good experience with synthetic motor oils, so I thought I'd try the synthetic tranny fluid. It was only about $1.00 more per quart than the castrol regular. I just had the transmission serviced about 4000 miles ago, so there really wasn't much of a need for it, but I just wanted to make sure that nothing got in there with the hose being loose.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: blkbaretta

i agree 100%

as far as the fluid level is concerned, the only way you would hurt the trans is if you launched the truckrepeatedly on slicks and the oil sloshed back to the rear of the trans several times and you wereat high load and low line pressure.not likely.

Since I don't drive my truck every day, that's why I decided to go with the synthetic fluids; that way I can go quite a bit between fluid changes. I've had good experience with synthetic motor oils, so I thought I'd try the synthetic tranny fluid. It was only about $1.00 more per quart than the castrol regular. I just had the transmission serviced about 4000 miles ago, so there really wasn't much of a need for it, but I just wanted to make sure that nothing got in there with the hose being loose.
whatever you say...if you think the money is well spent then go for it, just dont expect a seat of the pants difference as far as power is concerned.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

i agree 100%

whatever you say...if you think the money is well spent then go for it, just dont expect a seat of the pants difference as far as power is concerned.
I don't expect anything amazing, I just think synthetics are a good idea. I don't think there will be any difference in power, just less breakdown of the fluid, hopefully.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
zddp8868
Professional

Thanks man. I'm going to go ahead and change out the tranny fluid today with Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic along with changing my oil with Royal Purple. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a difference using these two full synthetics. Thanks again guys for all of the help.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Thanks man. I'm going to go ahead and change out the tranny fluid today with Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic along with changing my oil with Royal Purple. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a difference using these two full synthetics. Thanks again guys for all of the help.
You caught me, but I was referring mostly to the Royal Purple. I've read some good reviews and some of my friends have used it in their vehicles and have said good things. I also changed the oil in my truck to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic after I got it and it made a big difference, so I know that the oil can make a difference. I just wanted to match it in the tranny with the synthetic as well. I don't expect it to give me HP's or even torque, just good quality, resistive to breakdown transmission fluid.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
ozyran
Professional

I ran Valvoline ATF +4 in the wife's 2003 Dodge Intrepid and had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. No slipping, no shuddering, no problems.

It even says on the back that it's Chrysler approved/authorized.

Normally, I wouldn't take something like that at face value, but it is Valvoline, so....

Quick Reply: Quick Question about Tranny Fluid??