2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fitch intstall update!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fitch intstall update!!

Ok,
Tobriefly go over last weeks results. I went 210 miles on a full tank then topped off 16.8 gallons. That net me 12.35 MPG. Then I filled back up. Went home and cleaned my TPS (Steve's DIY) and put on an Edelbrock open element. I went 215 miles and just filled up.

When I was filling it stopped at 14.1 gallons.I couldn't believe it...i didn't believe it so i rocked my truck back and forth thinking there was an air pocket. I could only fill 14.5 gallons before it was spilling out of the tank. 215/15= 14.33 MPG. So, cleaning my TPS and putting on an open element gained me 2 MPG more. On a 26 gallon tank, thats 52 extra miles.

What does this have to do with the fitch that is installed. Nothing, so I am gonna takethe fitchoff and find out what the hell my truck runs without it.Its hard to pinpoint my true MPGbecauseI keep tuning the motor with little odds and ends.

I will post the non fitch results next sat. I know that will make more people happy. Plus give me my true baseline. But if you want 2 MPG, clean your TPS and put on a cheap open element. THe edelbrock is like the one Indyram has. It is just a foam element.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Moparkid032
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fitch intstall update!!

where is the DIY on the TPS cleaning..and what is an open element?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the air cleaner. It replaces the intake that feeds from the fenderwell. This air cleaner allows your engine to breathe MUCH better, and is cheap. It goes fight over your throttle body. like on a carbed engine. You can get this at autozone/advance/anywhere auto parts are sold. The only problem with it is that you need to put a spacer on the tightening bolt so it will tighten. Do not make it very tight since your intake is aluminum...you may kill the threads in your intake. Just don't do a chinup on it when you tighten it.
http://www.lonestarracing.com/shop/p...oducts_id=1186
Here is the TPS DIY:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1059605/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1059605

For the TPS, All you need is a 1/8 in drill bit, elec drill,and some CRC lectra-motive electronic parts cleaner that you can get at any local auto parts store. Make sure to get a big flathead screwdriver so you can twist the TPS while spraying...that will clean it out really good. Here is a tip that is not in the DIY. To make it dry faster (immediately) put the plastic straw end on a can of compressed air (like for computers) and spray the air in there to get everything out and make it dry.

if you have problems with putting the air cleaner on, let me know. This is the only "round" air cleaner that you don't need to bend any threaded pipe to make it fit like in the FIPK no more install.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

the compressed air might be pushing in moisture, it only takes about 5~10 minutes to get the tps dry, i'd recommend letting the cleaner air dry...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Moparkid032
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh ok thanks alot guys

Quick Reply: Fitch intstall update!!