2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008 | 10:38 PM
rcphotog
Default starting issue

I searched the threads for this but couldn't find any that fit my problem exactly. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd and when I go to start the truck, the starter just makes a clicking noise without turning the engine over. Outside temperature is not an issue as this happens in warm and cool weather. I used to just be able to clean the battery contacts and this would cure it, but no longer. I replaced the battery but it still does it. I've tapped on the starter with a hammer and no luck. Sometimes I have to turn the key back and forth up to 20 or more times to get it to start. To complictae matters, recently the headlights started going off when I tilt the steering wheel down. Aside from this, the truck runs fine and has no other issues. Do you think I just need to replace the starter? And could the headlights be affected by a wire in the steering column being crimped/pinched when I tilt the steering wheel down? Thanks for your input in advance!

Old 02-09-2008 | 10:44 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran
Default RE: starting issue

I cant remember what truck i was in.. but i can remember that someone had that problem with the head lights before.. im sure its just either loosing contact or grounding out.. would have guessed it would have blow a fuse by now tho.. hmm and my 99 1500 starter just went out at 110 miles.. my guess would be the you have the same problem .. but wait around for one of the more mechanically inclined guys to reply.. heard a saying on here a while back.. "always do the cheapest thing first" Good Luck

Old 02-13-2008 | 07:23 PM
rcphotog
Default RE: starting issue

Also, to go along with this question, I've had trouble getting a wrench on the bolt that holds the positive cable onto the starter. Is there a method to getting this bolt off without removing the starter from the engine block? I'm trying to rule out the possibility of a bad cable, as it does not tighten around the battery post well enough.

Quick Reply: starting issue