2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another possible 46RE Failure Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another possible 46RE Failure Plz help

Ok so here is the situation. I adjusted my bands about a month ago, changed the filter and added ATF+4. When I first did all of this I noticed a weird shift into second. It might have existed before but I waspaying very close attention to the way the tranny was acting after I did the work. It seems to try to shift early at about 2000 RPM then it actually shifts aroun 2200 RPm. Well now when I drive it stutters the same way at 2000RPM but every now end then when it does it again at 2200 RPM it wil shift in and out. I've tried readjusting the front band but no matter what I do it dosn't seem to change anything. I can tighten it all of the way and it will grap real quick and slip or I can back it off 5 turns and it seems a little better but has a really long shift. What do you guys think I should look at. OD on or off does not effect it at all. I'm pretty sure it is something I can fix myself if I can just find it. If I give the throttle more gas it will shift fine. If I shift it by hand it shifts just fine. The only time it dosn't shift fine is when it is in D. All of the other gears work great. The last syptom is the 1740 code that I am getting. I don't think that the 1740 code has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go and adjust the TV cable.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:27 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Default RE: Another possible 46RE Failure Plz help

Yea, mess with the TV cable. I have been adjusting mine for about a week now, trying to get it just right. When you adjust it, dont move it too far, cause then the tranny will shift really wierd, couple clicks should do it, in either direction.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Bump to see if anyone has any more ideas.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P1740-TCC O/D SOL PERFORMANCE
When Monitored: The Torque Convertor Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive Clutch (O/D) will be
tested each time the PCM requests TCC engagement in 3rd gear and O/D.
Set Condition: The code will set if the expected RPM drop is not achieved while
attempting to engage TCC or O/D. This indicates a malfunctioning torque convertor or
overdrive clutch.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Correct. I know that code means something is wrong with the TCC. My guess is a stuck solenoid. I don't that this is going to effect the life of the transmision. I'm more concerned about the 1-2 shift. That to me is probably causing damage that I need to fix very soon. I looked in the FSM and found that the one of the only things it could be is that front band. I spent all of the day yesterday messing with that band and didn't see an improvment. So I'm thinking either the band is going to fail very soon or there is something else going on. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else other then that band could cause the problems I'm having in the 1-2 shift.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

Correct. I know that code means something is wrong with the TCC. My guess is a stuck solenoid. I don't that this is going to effect the life of the transmision. I'm more concerned about the 1-2 shift. That to me is probably causing damage that I need to fix very soon. I looked in the FSM and found that the one of the only things it could be is that front band. I spent all of the day yesterday messing with that band and didn't see an improvment. So I'm thinking either the band is going to fail very soon or there is something else going on. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else other then that band could cause the problems I'm having in the 1-2 shift.
Hey Noobie,

I've encountered about the same thing you have after adjusting my bands. I'm saving some cash to have my transmission rebuilt and will have the builder show me how to properly adjust the bands from that point onward.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

Hey Noobie,

I've encountered about the same thing you have after adjusting my bands. I'm saving some cash to have my transmission rebuilt and will have the builder show me how to properly adjust the bands from that point onward.
Damn oldbie,

So you think I'm SOL. Well that sucks. I wonder if there is an easy way to replace the band without tearing the rest of the tranny apart?

Quick Reply: Another possible 46RE Failure Plz help