2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking t-case HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking t-case HELP!!!!

Ok so i put my truck up on a hoist the otherday to change my axle fluids and i discovered they my NP-231 transfer case is leaking fluids, this is coming out of the rear gasket that drives the rear axle, is this serious, hard to change any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
zique
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaking t-case HELP!!!!

Not hard at all to change. If you really want to do a good job, pull the case and replace all your seals and bearings (rebuild kits are about $100). I did a complete rebuild in about 2 hours.
If you are really set on just changing out that one seal:
1) drain t-case
2) pull rear shaft
3) remove the rear tailshaft housing (4 bolts)
4) replace that seal
5) reassemble
--should take about 30 min. Seal will be about $10. But like I said, if your seals are starting to go bad, you will end up having another leak shortly (but in a different place).

Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaking t-case HELP!!!!

thanks for the advice man, im not to confident about changing all of the seals, i only noticed it because i went to go change the oil in it, and went WTF

Quick Reply: Leaking t-case HELP!!!!