2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

update on dodge 360 engine, check out the new pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
hotrod853
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on dodge 360 engine, check out the new pics

I recently purchaced a Mopar Performance intake Prt# P5007380. I am going to install it on a 2003 Dodge 360/magnum engine. The engine is stock and I was wondering if I was going to have any problems as far as power or engine bogging due to the fact that this particular intake has an rpm range of 2600 to 6600 rpm? Does anybody know if there will be any problems with getting power out of this engine with this set-up? I will be using a Holley Carb 670 cfm with vacuum secondary. It will have a Mopar Electronic distributor with vacuum advance. What I am trying to do here is that I am swapping my old 360 engine from my Ramcharger and putting in this 2003 dodge 360 engine and I am converting it to a carburetor setup.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aluminum Single Plane Intake

Interesting choice...what made you decide to go carb setup? I don't think you should have any problems getting power. I don't know if you'll get as much as you would with a good fuelinjection setup, but I don't think it'll be weak. Keep your progress posted...

Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

she will be running pig rich with the fuel pump

Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ram2K1

Interesting choice...what made you decide to go carb setup? I don't think you should have any problems getting power. I don't know if you'll get as much as you would with a good fuelinjection setup, but I don't think it'll be weak. Keep your progress posted...
Dont know why you say your not going to get more power with a carb. Carbs are great for peak power, Fuel injection is much better for reliability/broad power/driveability.

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

she will be running pig rich with the fuel pump
If that ramcharger isnt fuel injected, he wont be running that electronic fuel pump, got that manual style on them.

sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted. Shouldnt have any problems with the intake. If your looking to have a high winder its a good choice, otherwise I would shy away from it.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: Ram2K1

Dont know why you say your not going to get more power with a carb. Carbs are great for peak power, Fuel injection is much better for reliability/broad power/driveability.
Well, technically I said I "didn't know" if the carb would get as much power... But yeah, the carb is great for peak power, as in, racing...but I'm just saying that for a DD truck, it may not be as good in terms of performance. There seems to be a lot of people who want to mod their Rams like they're muscle cars or something...which is different in a case like yours where the truck is 2wd and more of a street truck, but I just don't see doing it to a 4wd DD. Not to knock it (I'd like to do it too, but I need to keep as much mpg as possible), but it doesn't seem practical in the 4wd area.

I have thought about doing the same thing with mine before... When you consider dropping about $500 for a decent intake manifold and carb, plus getting rid of that silly plenum ordeal, it is very tempting. I'm anxious to see how everything works out...

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
hotrod853

The reason I am going this route is because I took some time to research this up a bit. I found this engine on a wrecked Dodge Ram 4x4. It's a 2003 engine 360/magnum. It came with everything on it for $500. I went this route because my 360 engine on my Ramcharger is shot. Any place around here would cost me minimum $1200.00 for a "short-block" overhaul. Then I still needed to spend a couple hundred more to deck it out plus another $100.00 on gaskets and paint for the finishing touch. So, with this new engine, I save my self the overhaul and I got myself a new engine. The only problem is that I need a Mopar performance computer to make everything work as if it was from the factory. That alone is about $500.00. Then the wiring harness to hook everything up was $1200.00 by itself. I called Mopar Performance to check this out. Then I called Painless Performance for their wiring. They told me that they were in the process of building a stand-alone harness for Mopar as we spoke. That "the idea was on the table." So my only other chance to make this baby run was to go "Carburetor". I think it'll come out cheaper at the end even though feul injection is more reliable.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
hotrod853

I'll keep you guys updated. It should be another two weeks before she is running.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
hotrod853

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1180719

This is my website for myspace so that you guys can keep up to date on my latest project. Feel free to give me some feedback.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

this is exactly what i want to do once i stroke this 318 that i have. please keep us updated, maybe a DIY write up if you ahve time, or just some good info would be great!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
hotrod853

sure will, the pics give a little explanation as to what's going on, but I can get you the info you need if I have what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: update on dodge 360 engine, check out the new pics