2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive button doing a whole lot of nothing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
nickels767
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive button doing a whole lot of nothing...

'98 1500 with the 318. The transmission shifts into overdrive, however the overdrive on/off button on the shift lever doesn't do anything. The light on the dash doesn't light up, and it doesn't kick it out of overdrive.

Is this a simple matter of pulling the dash apart and re-connecting a wire, or is there a chance that it's something else??

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
nickels767
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overdrive button doing a whole lot of nothing...

Also, my reverse lights don't come on unless I hold the shifter a little bit higher than where it normally rests. Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Overdrive button doing a whole lot of nothing...

i just going to guess - that the o/d button on the end shift lever is broken. i doubt that you need to tear apart the whole dash. download the 2001 service manual in the DIY merry christmas thread. most of it applies to your 98. i think you just pop it off and replace it. ??

backup lights - well i/m 0 for 2, don't know whether that switch is internal to trans or external on the linkage, but the service manual will describe it.

welcome to df. tip - fill out your signature in your profile and you won't have to describe the truck each time.

Quick Reply: Overdrive button doing a whole lot of nothing...