2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

higher wattage light bulbs? anyone know where to get them??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 AM
jarebear86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: higher wattage light bulbs? anyone know where to get them??

hey what all hardware do you suggest for those lights? like what gauge wire and do you mean double relays per light or one relay per light?? if you dont mind could you send me what all you used for this set up i would REALLY appreciate it? because as of right now i have 4 fog lights with 16 gauge wire running to them with 2 relays, one running for every 2 lights, a fuse per relay, and also how did you mount them? like do they mount like normal fog lights???

Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
KC8VEY

Check out
http://www.rallylights.com/
Lots of good info and bulb choices.

130W is the highest i have seen....would be nice and bright but only has a life of around 100 hours. Getting any higher then 100w and heat may become a problem in a light designed for a 55w bulb.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
nolazach
Veteran

The aircraft lights only have a 25 hour life. So they really wouldn't last long. Then they get really hot, and they are insanely bright.

here is a wiring diagram that works for them, just use 12-14 gauge wire, and like the other guy said a circut breaker would be better than a fuse.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
jarebear86
Professional

so that means after 25 hours im gonna have to turn around and spend another $31 on new lights? thats kinda gay

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
WesV
Rookie

Those bulbs at 250w draw about 20amp a peice. Here are the specs of what I use:

16ga from power to toggle switch on dash and from switch to 2 30 amp relays in parallel with inline 30amp circuit breakers (one in each parallell branch)

10ga from Batt to each relay
10ga from each relay to each light
10ga for grounds on relay and lights

Lights are mounted in old Motorcycle headlight buckets which are chromed metal. I just happened to have these on a couple parts bikes and they were the right diameter.

These lights have been on for over a year, I guess I am getting close to the 25 life expectancy, but for me, if I have to buy new ones once a year isn't that bad. And there is a MAJOR difference between the 150s and the 250s, just don't leave them on without your truck running or you will have a dead batt pretty quick.

Quick Reply: higher wattage light bulbs? anyone know where to get them??