2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction

I have a 2001 2WD quad cab 5.2 with the 8' bed. Now today I pulled into a friends driveway. The rain had run down the driveway and collected at the apron and sidewalk. Well I got stuck. Everthing froze i.e. ice
I tried and tried to back upand the tires just spun. I got out and to my surprise onewheel was sitting on the ice and the other was on a dry patch of concrete....WTF
So I pull in to the right then back up and both wheels caught the dry concrete. So finally I got otta there.
So my question,is there somemod to make the wheelsgrab at the same time. I thought I saw on motorweek Illustrated a two wheel drive truck that was able to get itself otta of a ditch with it's special 2wheel traction.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traction

A locker. You have an open differential. Meaning the rear end only provides traction to one tire, to make cornering easier so one wheel can spin faster than the other. So the wheel with less traction (on ice) will be the only wheel spinning. A locker will make both wheels spin.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure what tires you have on the pickup now, but deeper/different tread design might help as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do a search on here for "locker", "powertrax", "noslip" for a variety of opinions, both pro and con. zique and i have the noslip and like it. i love mine, no more one wheel wonder. sir hilton recently tried both lockright and noslip and hated them both due to the feeling of increased backlash/slop and wheelhop during accelerated cornering.

options are limited on the chrysler 9.25 rear end, and there are no 'selectable' lockers available. the 'lunchbox' lockers (noslip) install in the existing carrier as a DIY. See pics in my posts. The detroit and others, including all the LSD's, replace the carrier and are typically not DIY, but instead require a professional install, which significantly increases your cost.

Quick Reply: Traction