2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fender Flares Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Flares Question

Another question guys!

I was toldby an officer that fender flares have to cover the full distance of your tiring sticking out. Imsticking out about 4 inches, and the only fender flares I find that arent an eye sore only come out an inch and 3/4. Is there anyone else with flares that dont cover the full distance of your tire, but find that cops dont mind as long as you have some sort of coverage? Theres no way in hell you can make me get those ugly stock ones that Toyota seems to put on all there Tacomas / Tundras when they sell them lifted.

Heres a link to the Bushwack ones I like - http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...R4BUS49.2.html

Old 02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fender Flares Question

I have bushwacker extend a flare those stick out 2" , check with your local law and see how much you can extend out , i think 2" is max

Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional

2inches max? Being you cant have fender flares stick out more then 2 inches, or anything whether its flares/tires? Say my local law is only 2 inches too, does that mean I have to size down in tires to legally drive it since im sticking out 3 - 4 inches of tire? Assuming a cop wants to bother pulling over a kid for tires stickin out too much?

Wish I knew a cop to sign off fix-it tickets, I see so many oversized tires around here with no flares [:@]

Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen people around here use "garden edging" for fender flares. It's basically a 4 inch wide piece of rubber than you screw/bolt to the underside of your fender. It's about 4" wide, so you could trim it to be as wide as you want.The best news is thatit's cheap! Like 15 bucks for 20 feet, which should do all your fenders. I've been told that it is best to use some big washers (like fender washers) to help keep the rubber held up good and flat on the lip of the fender.

Here is a picture of a 4Runner I've seen that has this treatment....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...mp;postcount=5

Good luck!
Cartman

Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional

Damn, 15 bucks for 20 feet, that sure does sound a lot better then 380$ for Bushwackers. i'll look into it, but if its the material im thinking of, it doesnt seem to hold up very well to decent sized rocks, nor durability.

Thanks for the idea, will definately look into it, cant beat 15$ !

Quick Reply: Fender Flares Question