2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How can I tell if I have ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I tell if I have ABS?

How can I tell if I have 4 wheel ABS on my 01 Ram? Or if it's just rear wheel or if I have it at all? I know this is a noob ? sorry. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 AM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How can I tell if I have ABS?

Slam your breaks on, if you skid you dont have it

Kidding, my 98 has it, I wouldnt see why yours wouldnt. Isnt there a light on your dash when you start your truck up?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yes there is a light. Would that mean I have front too or just rear? It used to would lock the brakes up and slide a little but sort of pulsed while doing it. With the new calipers it doesn't want to lock them up as easily but still will a little but sort of pulses when I do it. I know this means I have ABS but just wondering if it would be rear or 4 wheel?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
DodgeFan01
Professional

I would definately say all four.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran

My ABS sucks. My parents 00 chrysler t&c has abs and you can definitely feel it locking the brakes and disengaging and locking.... while skidding. My truck just seems to skid so i assumed it didn't have ABS. But then one time while turning the truck on i noticed the light. So i purposely skid into my driveway and it seemed to disengage once then just lock up. I'm disappointed in it.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Scottr1110
Veteran

look at the left fender under the hood right behind the fuse box if you have a big *** module and all sorts of lines that come from the master cylinder then you have it if theres nothin from the master and the lines go straight to the wheels you only got rear wheel abs

Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 PM
danm9

ORIGINAL: Scottr1110

look at the left fender under the hood right behind the fuse box if you have a big *** module and all sorts of lines that come from the master cylinder then you have it if theres nothin from the master and the lines go straight to the wheels you only got rear wheel abs
on the underside of the hood, i have a sticker with all the specs on my truck and it says i have REAR antilock brakes. i'm not sure i beleive it though.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Scottr1110
Veteran

is there anything on the left fender between the fire wall and fuse box and if you slam on the brakes do the front wheels lock up

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

If you have ABS, it is on all four wheels. I have never heard of a vehicle having ABS on only the rear wheels, and Dodge never sold an ABS-equipped vehcile without ABS on all wheels.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 AM
nolazach
Veteran

I have never heard of a vehicle having ABS on only the rear wheels, and Dodge never sold an ABS-equipped vehcile without ABS on all wheels.

Very common on 90's rwd vehicles. Trucks, GM B-body, Ford Crown Vic, etc.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...27-GR-026.html

REAR WHEEL ABS Definition: A type of ABS system that only involves the rear wheels. Commonly used on pickup trucks and vans, rear-wheel ABS provides skid control with varying vehicle loads. This type of ABS system uses only a single speed sensor in the transmission or differential for both rear wheels. See RABS and RWAL.
btw I had ABS at one time, I can see the module, but I have no ABS. Need to fix it, but not on my top 5 things to do,